How do lefties play?

Kalimac

Reaction score
This question won't actually apply to me, since I'm right handed, but it may come up if I ever convince my Dad or brother to give the uke a try.

When you're left handed do you reverse the strings or just play upside down? Do they make left handed ukuleles?

Reverse the strings; hold the ukulele "upside down" (or rightside up to a leftie).

Most ukuleles can be flipped over with no issues. A few may need an adjustment to the nut and/or saddle.

or learn right-handed unless they really can't do that. seems to me a lot of the intricate action is in the left hand anyway, played right handed. I'm a lefty but play drums/percussion right handed, which gave me some advantage, and I'm learning uke right handed.

I am left-handed and learned to play regular. I started with guitar, but hey, it's the same concept. I don't personally feel you have to switch strings around. Bonus is my left hand is the fretting hand. Either way your dominant hand has a role as the offhand has another role.

That question can get as different an answer as anything else. I am a lefty and I picked it up 'right handed' however, I have two sons both left handed... they play my ukes upside down, hence they learned how to read tabs and chord charts opposite of the rest of us..
Good luck!

I play left handed but without restringing. Some of the challenging chord shapes are actually more accessible this way. The way my head processes trying to read tabs works best this way. And also, my right handed husband and I can pass ukes back and forth.

Reverse the strings; hold the ukulele "upside down" (or rightside up to a leftie).

Most ukuleles can be flipped over with no issues. A few may need an adjustment to the nut and/or saddle.

Yes, this is what I did! They do make some lefty ukes but in my experience they are VERY hard to find. When I was searching I noticed that the Eleuke does come in lefty. I also came across a Spruce top acoustic/electric but do not remember the exact brand. I would go ahead and encourage them to just reverse the strings. They would have a lot more to choose from, that's for sure!

Wow, I guess there are a lot of options for southpaws. But then, there seem to be a lot of options for everything involving the ukulele. Thanks for all the replies everyone!

I play left handed but without restringing.

This is probably the method I'd recommend - just flip it upside down, don't restring, and learn your chords upside down. That way you can pick up any uke and just play it, which you can't do if you restring your ukulele for "proper" left handed play. But really it comes down to whatever feels the most natural and I'd encourage all lefties to just go with that.

Some more info here: http://ukulefty.wordpress.com/2011/07/01/left-handed-ukulele-tips-01/

I play upside down, but with the strings switched, works for me. :)

I never understood the concept of being a "lefty" or "righty" when it comes to guitar playing and by extension ukulele playing. Both my hands felt incredibly awkward when I started classical guitar many years ago. I doubt it would have made any difference to my progress if I had started playing "left handed" what ever that means. Both hands must learn incredibly intricate and delicate movements. We play with both hands and I don't think one is more important than the other but I'm certain there are those who think otherwise.

I never understood the concept of being a "lefty" or "righty" when it comes to guitar playing and by extension ukulele playing. Both my hands felt incredibly awkward when I started classical guitar many years ago. I doubt it would have made any difference to my progress if I had started playing "left handed" what ever that means. Both hands must learn incredibly intricate and delicate movements. We play with both hands and I don't think one is more important than the other but I'm certain there are those who think otherwise.

Yup, I guess thats how picked it up regular being a leftie. Even better, my good hand can do the more complex movements of fretting now!

I am lefty and play lefty. It is what has always felt the most natural. My strings are reversed and for me, the easiest way to explain chords is that I am a mirror image of a righty. I have a chord finder app on my phone that even has the option to display the chords lefty.

My advice, play the way that feels the most natural for you.

"I never understood the concept of being a "lefty" or "righty" when it comes to guitar playing and by extension ukulele playing"

I think it has something to do with the left brain / right brain thing. I'm right handed but I can play left handed anytime I want - I just stand in front of a mirror!

I'm a lefty who plays the way most righties do. I don't like calling it righty or lefty, though I'm conditioned to calling the style that way. We lefties have enough to deal with without the 'majority' labeling the way they play as 'right handed!' Got a lefty car or piano? Enough of my preaching. I agree with several folks here-do what feels right for you and call it as you see fit. Best of luck to you.
-Frets in Maine

Sometimes there is no choice in the matter. I am actually right-handed and play left-handed because my left index finger cannot bend (due to an accident early in life). It would be impossible for my left hand to make all of the chords! :)

I did get it again today. The being in a music store thus someone seeing me play "upside down" and having to explain myself.

As for the whole whether or not a left handed person should just learn to do what the majority are doing, a person should do whatever feels the most natural and comfortable.

What would a lefthanded piano player do ? Play it upside down ?

Top Bottom