New Koaloha Ukulele design GAMBALELE

MGM

Reaction score
Made for the relief effort in Japan..... the soundhole is the fighting warrior sun flag from japan encouraging the Japanese people to fight against the disaster suffered fromnm the Tsunami and earthquake...

This is a concert size

gambalele.jpg

hey Mike is that the price?

Looks like a silent auction to me. I suspect it'll go for more than that value of $1500 since it is an ukulele festival gala. That is a very cool ukulele.

Wonder if it sounds better than a well made cigar box uke made from a good quality red cedar box?

Odd choice, given some Japanese people's feelings about the Imperial flag...

Not just Japanese people - my father likely would have had a pretty negative reaction to that ukulele, given he was a Navy flier in WWII and learned to associate the rising sun flag in much the same way he associated the German flag with the swastika...

Not just Japanese people - my father likely would have had a pretty negative reaction to that ukulele, given he was a Navy flier in WWII and learned to associate the rising sun flag in much the same way he associated the German flag with the swastika...

And oh dear - I don't want to open a can of worms with that! My dad was a great guy and part of "the Greatest Generation." He was also a kind, non-judgmental man - but he associated some very evil things done by some evil governments (NOT the people in general) with the symbols those governments chose to use...

I think I should just shut up now.

I don't really know anything about the Imperial flag, but I imagine it might be a bit difficult to pattern that soundhole after the regular Japanese flag...

I expect a limited interest in that design. WWII/ Pearl Harbor issues would run strong with many here in the US. Especially since we have many uke players from that traumatic time in history. It's a nice idea to have a fund raising uke, but I think they are limiting their potential donors by incorporating that graphic. I would love to see something along the lines of a laser engraved Japanese woodblock inspired graphic, maybe using the sound hole as a rising sun.

–Lori

I realise this is an old thread but I only just came across one of these on eBay and there's a video with an explanation of the use of the Japanese imperial flag. I must admit I was absolutely gobsmacked! The intention of helping the Japanese people after the earthquake and tsunami was admirable but the lack of judgement and historical knowledge when it came to using this symbol was terrible. Not only did Japan attack the US before any declaration of war, they killed nearly 100,000 forced labourers (both Asian and Allied PoWs) on the Burma Railway and killed millions of Chinese (often experimenting on them in the most horrendous of ways). KoAloha might as well also make a ukulele decorated with swastikas and SS insignia! I must admit I am thinking of purchasing a KoAloha but this Gambalele and it's symbolism has really turned my stomach and is swaying me towards a Kanile'a. We must never forget our history if we are not to recreate the mistakes of the past.

Absolutely agree. My grandfather was tortured by the Japanese in the Bataan Death March. I would NEVER own anything with the f***ng imperial flag on it, as a Filipino and an American.

In all fairness, that is still the Japanese Naval flag today. I am wondering why no one raises an issue with their traditional flag (white with red sun) when that is the same flag they also used during WWII?

In all fairness, that is still the Japanese Naval flag today. I am wondering why no one raises an issue with their traditional flag (white with red sun) when that is the same flag they also used during WWII?

I'm sure if they put the white with red sun on a uke, some people wouldn't purchase it either.

Here's what I found about the Rising Sun Flag in Wikpedia

The Rising Sun Flag (旭日旗, Kyokujitsu-ki?) is the military flag of Japan.[1] It was used as the war flag of the Imperial Japanese Army and the ensign of the Imperial Japanese Navy until the end of World War II. The naval ensign and a modified version of the war flag continue to be in use by the Japanese Self-Defense Force, the design is also incorporated into many commercial products and advertisements. However, as the flag was heavily used by the Japanese in the conquest and the occupation of East Asia, it is seen as offensive in countries which were victims of Japanese colonialism, largely because of the war crimes perpetrated by the Japanese military.

I don't really know anything about the Imperial flag, but I imagine it might be a bit difficult to pattern that soundhole after the regular Japanese flag...

You mean it would be "too easy" to pattern a soundhole after the regular Japanese flag.... because it would just be a round hole like on a vast majority of ukes :D
But no, that wouldn't be as fun/meaningful.

Also, people of other nationalities, such as South Koreans

This crossed my mind too. Not to mention Koaloha's proximity to Pearl Harbor.

Perhaps it goes to show how far we've come from those days. It is all peaceful now and we are friends :D

Top Bottom