I'm BAAACK!

philpot

Reaction score
Well, after 16 days of driving out and then backpacking at Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico I'm back! With a slew of new songs I want to work on too. The trip was interesting (saw 6 bears, 2 rattlesnakes, had a mountain lion in our camp... oh, and our burro saved me and a few other guys from a bear.) but the coolest part was the campfire program. They played a lot of songs I'd never heard, and DEFINITELY want to learn, one of which is A Train Robbery by Levon Helm. Amazing song. Anyways, I'm not dead! still here ;)

Aloha philpot!
Glad to see you back on UU. Please share your new songs with the rest of us!

Mason671

Aloha Phil,
Sounds like you had a great time...must have been nice and fun...doing the outdoors and back to nature and music thing around the campfire....and exciting as hell..MM Stan

Did the burro make the ultimate sacrifice? Anyway, nice to hear how inspired you are.

Come to think of it, why weren't there any ukuleles in "City Slickers"?

Glad to hear that you're inspired.

Glad to hear you had a nice and welcome back to the underground.

Always nice to get some new inspiration.

Sounds like you had a fun time, welcome back to UU :D

And yes, share these new songs!

Welcome back! Sounds like a great vacation. Did Kolohe get to make the trip?

Philmont is a fantastic place for backpacking (Class of '86).

Thanks for the kind words guys :) the people at the campfire did this thing where they played the same chord progression for the most part and switched songs a bunch, and it all sounded really cool together. Everything from Closing Time to Wagon Wheel to Hot n Cold. So I think I want to try to throw together a mashup like theirs, because it was pretty dang awesome! Kolohe came with me on the 2 and a half day bus ride, but he didn't come out on the trail. I wanted to cut weight wherever possible, and plus I figured after 11 days on the trail tensions are high enough without mostly the same songs being heard day after day after day ;)

oh, and no our burro was fine. He just scared an aggressive bear away. That thing was flippin huge!!

Top Bottom