Cheap uke hangers...

rock_and_roll_camera

Reaction score
I was out and about the other day and I came across something that I think makes a very good uke hanger.

DSC02477.jpg

These things are sold as tool hangers, but they fit a uke real well. I've photographed the hanger holding my soprano, concert and banjo uke. Ofcourse I'm holding the hook, as we're looking to move soon and so I'm not making anymore holes in the walls as I have to fill them. The eventual plan is to get a nice, decorative plank of wood, screw a few of these things in and mount the whole thing on the wall. Should be good.

DSC02473.jpg

DSC02475.jpg

DSC02476.jpg

In my old place I had a hanger that I bought off ebay, but it was far too big and I had to put it in a vice and compress it slightly to hold a uke. I've heard of a few people doing this, so I think these are great, they fit straight out the bag!

For those of you in th UK I bought these in Wilkinson's, and they were less then £2. Can't remember just how much exactly but certainly very cheap indeed! For our friends across the pond, I'm sure you'll have something very similar in your local DIY/discount store!?...

I was out and about the other day and I came across something that I think makes a very good uke hanger.

In my old place I had a hanger that I bought off ebay, but it was far too big and I had to put it in a vice and compress it slightly to hold a uke. I've heard of a few people doing this, so I think these are great, they fit straight out the bag!

For those of you in the UK I bought these in Wilkinson's, and they were less then £2. Can't remember just how much exactly but certainly very cheap indeed! For our friends across the pond, I'm sure you'll have something very similar in your local DIY/discount store!?...

Ooo..I may have to invest in some of these, just have to find a piece of wall to hang them from!

looks useful! found them on ebay but i'm gonna look for some of those in my local shop first ;)
thanks for sharing!

Yeah, there's a few of those serving that purpose in this household. Except they're grey.

I use a lot of these in my studio for hanging electric guitars. I just had to widen the spacing for those. I did as you said and mounted them in a block of wood and then to the wall. they are secure enough for my guitars, they would be perfect for ukes. The only issue ive had is that he coating is not that durable with constant use the rubber will evenualy wear out and peal. But that is with a heavy instrument too.

Many dollar stores (Dollar Tree) sell those, but they are wrapped with a foam rubber type coating, similar to what is on guitar racks. They are usually in a two-pack for $1. I've got a few of them in my shop.

Dan

Gave me a great idea. I'm going to investigate those new slat type tool hangers where the hangers slide in and out as needed. Mount to finished board, then mount to wall (or mount directly to wall. Cheap and flexible. Make longer than you need...can add more hangers as your uke collection increases (up until the time you need to make another one that is, LOL)

These are sold in Home Depot, Lowes or any hardware store as tool hangers for the garage. There is also a canned rubber compound that they can be re coated with when they get worn. Comes in several colors. I use it for tool handles.

Many dollar stores (Dollar Tree) sell those, but they are wrapped with a foam rubber type coating, similar to what is on guitar racks. They are usually in a two-pack for $1. I've got a few of them in my shop.

Dan

I'm headed to Dollar Tree this weekend! I've got all the stuff to make a uke hanger, but I got the grey tool holders from Lowe's. Thanks for the tip!

There is also a canned rubber compound that they can be re coated with when they get worn. Comes in several colors. I use it for tool handles.
Please could you tell me what this is called? I have been looking for something like this for a while but can't find any in the UK.
Or if anyone in the UK knows of a product which is available here that would be great.
Thanks,
Ian.

For those of you in the UK I bought these in Wilkinson's, and they were less then £2. Can't remember just how much exactly but certainly very cheap indeed! For our friends across the pond, I'm sure you'll have something very similar in your local DIY/discount store!?...

A couple of weeks ago my local Wilkinson's were selling these at half price. I think they were 59p if I remember rightly.

Ian.

I have been using these for a while. As extra decoration, I fix them to the wall through the hole in the centre of old 45rpm singles.
SAM_0746.jpg

SAM_0747.jpg

If you're looking for these in the UK, B&Q sell them as Small Tool Hooks. Just go and ask for a hook for your small tool - I dare ya! But the best/cheapest place is your local outdoor market. Look for the tool guy and he will almost certainly have them in packs of two for a quid or less. Sometimes they are in a pack or two small and two large. I use the large ones for my guitars and basses...

Well, I went to Dollar Tree today, and they didn't have any tool holder hooks. I think they are seasonal items with them, and they only stocked them for the spring season. I went to Wal Mart, and found some tool hooks with the foam covering instead of the vinyl covering. It looked a little large, so I bought only 1 of them to check the size. When I got it home, it was 2" from inside edge to inside edge. It was bigger than all the headstocks of my uke collection. I'll keep looking, but will use the tool hooks I got at Lowes in the mean time.

If your uke is finished with nitrocellulose lacquer, make sure the coating on the hanger/hook is compatible with the finish and won't soften or ruin it. There are many cases of rubbery pads on one thing or another...tuners, stands, etc...totally messing up guitar and uke finishes. Modern catalyzed finishes don't seem to be affected.

Top Bottom