Problem with Tangi mini ukes...

rock_and_roll_camera

Reaction score
I just got hold of two Tangi mini ukes a few days ago. Really love them, though my fingers are still sore from tuning them. Haven't managed to master the tiny frets yet but have been able to get a few little tunes out.

DSC02466.jpg

There are big differences between the two though. One is really nicely finished, the other seems a little, lets say, "rushed"?

DSC02472.jpg

The fretboard in particular seems to be very bad. Wonky frets, dirty, and what appears to be a cock up on the fret marker inlays?

I'm just wondering if I should be sending this back? Or is anybody handy with making tiny fretboards?...

I have the same issues with it. It is marketed as a display piece, and not a player tho, so in all fairness, it is what it is. QA is not the best, but still a cool little uke. Mine, the neck and frets are tilted off center even. Not sure if you seen my project, but I am building one similar to it, but more geared to playing, even though, still a novelty as any miniture is. My version of mini uke is named "Aphid", and you can search that probably, and see what I am working on, and follow that project. Once I build a few prototypes, I will be building them to sell. I am also planning on making a hard case available with Aphid.

The tuners don't work on mine. Disappointed for sure as I can't tune it to even see if I can get a melody out of it...oh well :(

yeah, the tuners arent great on it. The tuners on Aphid are made from Ebony, not brass. And I plan to make a "key" button you turn the tuners on aphid. It just goes over the buttons on the tuners, twist to tune, and remove. Kinda like a "tuner wrench"..

Wow! That second one's junk, even if only intended for display. You don't even need the close up to see that the frets aren't even parallel!

John

I am actually impressed by how screwed up the fretboard looks. Pretty impressive!(I am a smartaxx by the way! and I love exclamation points!!!)

I wrap a folded up peice of paper around the tuner and either turn it by hand or use some channel lock plyers and press in (gentlyish) mine rarely goes outta tune now . I envy whoever got any of these without a flaw of some kind mine has a offcenter bridge .

They wern't, an Mike whom sells them is always VERY clear about that. It is what it is, and that is a novelty, display piece. I bought mine to play it, but fully understood, it isn't meant to be. Mine has allot of quality issues, and I wasn't disapointed for what it is meant to be. This is what inspired me to attack the "Aphid" project to build one that is targeted to be played, altho still a novelty.

Wow! Looks like I lucked out. I have one tuner that doesn't hold very well. But that's a minor problem, all things considered.

Top Bottom