A Question for PLASTIC uke owners. Which ones are really playable?

Total Ukphoria

Reaction score
I am, of course, not calling the owners themselves "plastic".:eek:

Other than the islander/ and related Maccaferri Ukes and Carnivals - what other brands are truely playable instruments (that sound decent) ? I bought the amuze plastic ukulele and really like the plastic sound.
Here's a video of someone enjoying their own (this is the same model I have)

&
Here is a list of platic ukes
http://www.serioustoyz.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=365

Last edited:
Not for nothing, but Flea and Fluke are plastic back / body with wood soundboard (and fretboard option). Those sound pretty good.

I've had my eye on those for awhile. Do you like it? Do they have good volume? They aren't cheap so I figured they must be good quality.
Thanks

I've got one and they sound good, but I prefer the sound and feel of the older Islanders and T.V. Pals. The Amuse ukes are much sturdier for travel.

My vote is for the makala dolphin ( with aquila strings). Must be something to the dolphin as retailer can't keep them in stock. I have my second one on order. Imagine a back order for a $40 plastic ukelele.

I hope this doesn't sound like i'm putting down the other plastics as i don't have any experience with them. I only state what is satisfactory for me.

My applause is half plastic, but has a solid spruce(i think) top, sounds great.

My vote is for the makala dolphin ( with aquila strings). Must be something to the dolphin as retailer can't keep them in stock. I have my second one on order. Imagine a back order for a $40 plastic ukelele.

I hope this doesn't sound like i'm putting down the other plastics as i don't have any experience with them. I only state what is satisfactory for me.

The dolphin is not all-plastic. Only the back and sides are. Just to be clear.

The Flamingo can be quite playable, but watch out for those warped necks!

Flamingo_blurry.jpg

I've had my eye on those for awhile. Do you like it? Do they have good volume? They aren't cheap so I figured they must be good quality.
Thanks

I think the video represents it well. I like the sound of plastic- it's just very different from any of my woodens. It holds its tune and is very fun and decently loud. I have played all three versions of this uke brand and I truely believe the pink one has the best sound. I've even done a blind fold test and picked the pink one every time. Funny thing is, that I watched musicguymics video with the pink one and the other 2 (elsewhere) before I played them in person and I even thought the pink one sounded best then... or, maybe I'm crazy:).

I've wondered about that one--- does it have a unique sound from woodens?

It is basically like an ovation guitar. I think it sounds great after it opened up. But yeah the soundboard is wood so the tone comes from that, and it's solid to boot. someone actually dropped it from an overhead cabin in a plane while crossing the atlantic and it didn't break, was in a soft gig bag.

It has a pickup too, passive.

Top Bottom