WTB: Quality Tenor

jcfarm

Reaction score
Hello - I am looking for a high quality Tenor uke - US built. mainland or HI. Does anyone have anything for sale?

Thats a really pretty Uke he does nice work! The use of tourquoise is so unique.
That price for a one of a kind uke is excellant.
Dreamer a nice contrast to your Honu and a Different sound.

Last edited:
I imagine you are asking here because you want to buy used. The only problem is no one knows what you want to spend.

If you only have $200, then I wouldn't spend a whole lot of time waiting for a response.

Now if you have $2000 then everyone wants to be your friend. For that amount you can have both my tenors.

John

i have two!

Hi

first of all, if by high quality you mean da silva or something in the $1000 range, then skip this post. If you mean a very solid, resonant instrument that is long-term playable, you may be interested, so read on.

I have two tenor ukes that I am selling for the simple reason that I am going soprano. my tiny, cheap Makala Dolphin has won my heart, and so I am selling the following ukes to finance a higher end soprano:

1. Kala KM-KT (koa tenor laminate) bought from MGM

2. Mainland Mahogany Tenor with Mi-Si pickup installed bought from Mike at Mainland

I haven't priced these yet, will get to that soon, but if you are interested, post a response and I will get crackin.

both ukes are in like-new condition, both ukes are lovely instruments. My wife prefers the tone of the Kala, I slightly prefer the tone of the Mainland. In the end, I have played both about the same amount.

the Kala is more percussive and mellow, the Mainland is more full and projects a bit more.

I will be away from my ukes for the weekend, but will respond to any inquiries, and of course, I will be posting in the marketplace as soon as I get some pictures.

shega

Thanks for the responses. My price range is in the $400 - $800 range, all in (case, shipping, etc). Although I prefer to be in the lower end of that range if I can find a good instrument. I am looking for a good value as this is an experiment (I am a drummer and guitar player) and if I sell it, I do not want to lose much on the transaction. I am not in a hurry. I do want solid wood - no laminates. I am not familiar with the two custom builders suggested here - so any info on those would be appreciated. I do not know anything about the Mainland either.
Thanks again - any and all information appreciated!

If you don't mind non-traditional, Boat Paddle Ukuleles are excellent - play great, sound great.

hey jcfarm, are you sure you will like the ukulele?

i ask because $400-800--in my mind--is a lot to spend on an instrument if you're just starting out. before i got into ukes i had a friend who had an oscar schmidt concert that i borrowed for a week to see if i liked 'em. i couldn't put it down that whole week. if you've been to sam ash or other stores and noodled around enough to know & you've got it to spend, then alright!

basically, i would suggest going with a $150-250 tenor just to see if the uke is for you. then if you're really into it, snap up a real quality piece later. but that's my approach.

my first tenor was a lanikai solid spruce top that i got for about $200 including case and shipping. aquila strings and good quality work. while it's no koaloha or any of the other k's, it's got a great sound and looks sharp. it's whetted my appetite to save up for a nicer tenor in the future.

happy hunting and welcome to uu!

Yes, I have thought about those. They are pretty too.

Does anyone know anything about the custom builder with the Myrtle tenor listed here? Seems like a nice Uke and a nice guy.

Thanks,

JCF

That last posting refered to the Boat Paddles.

3nails - no I am not sure I will play this much. But I like fine guitars, so I want to get something a bit above entry level. I suspect that will help me enjoy the instrument too!

Molo - thanks for the leads - I will check those out.

Used is a likely route - if anyone has anything at a reasonable price, let me know. FYI - I had committed to a really nice Wai'olu but it ended up being damaged in shipping - bummer.

Cheers.................JCF

jcfarm,

PM'd you.

Top Bottom