Tuning down?

ItsMrPitchy

Reaction score
Does anyone now how far i can tune the strings down befor they start to sound awful. Especially the low g how far down can it go before it is unplayable.

Would i be able to tune the low g down to a low E or F?

I'm not sure what to do about the low g...

But, I put SouthCoast mediums (re-entrent/high g) on one of my tenors and tuned down to Bb, and man do they sound awesome. I would like to get some heavy gage and try tuning down a semitone or more lower.

I'd wait and see if Dirk from SouthCoast chimes in. Maybe you could put on some of his heavy gage strings for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd strings and find a wound classical guitar string for the low 4th.

Depends on your type of strings and tension...and what you are comfortable in....too low and it's flat...or sloppy strings..

I'd say... Try it! You're not going to break anything. A couple twists of a peg will get you back to standard if you don't like it.

I'd say... Try it! You're not going to break anything. A couple twists of a peg will get you back to standard if you don't like it.

I second the motion. A couple of times I've tuned the whole uke down to F Bb D G to do a song that I already knew how to play, but was a little out of my singing range.

(And a few months ago, I accidentally tuned two of the wound strings on my tiple a full octave too high, and they didn't snap! Please don't try this on your instrument. :stop:)

Top Bottom