Help With Choosing Ukulele!!

Fran1990

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm not sure if I've posted this in the right place but here goes nothing....

I'm toying with the idea of getting a new Uke as mine is a beginners and I wanted to get a better one!

At the moment it's between a Flea Soprano uke or Martin S1 Mahogany uke. I would appreciate anyones advice as I have no idea which one is the better one!!

Thank you!

With those choices, you can't go wrong.

Fleas are great-sounding, easy-playing ukuleles. Very lovable. I haven't had a chance to play a Martin S1, but I've read good things. If possible, play both, then decide which is better for you. If that's not possible, watch as many youtube videos as you can of people playing these ukuleles, then decide.

And remember, the Flea costs about $200 less.

You will always be tempted to upgrade your ukulele, so better to just cut the intermediates in between and get a high end one if you are sure the uke is for you :)

Hmmmm, apples and oranges. A no lose choice....pick the one that tickles your fancy right now. Can always get the other when UAS kicks in.

I love the Martin OXK and its a hundred bucks cheaper than the S1, and sounds better.... but its made out of formica but you wanted a fluke and its also non traditional.

Aloha Fran,
It boils down to personal preference and what you like ...not us... looks, sound, playability and comfort..
any other choices...mainland Mahogany maybe..

Hi Fran,
I set a budget ($100 apiece) for myself, and went to the music stores and tried all of them. I chose the ones (2) that felt best in my hands, sounded the prettiest to my ears, and had a cool look to them.

Thanks for your help, I've decided to go for a Flea (after listening to many a youtube video!) Thanks again everyone :)

Good choice!!

Nothing wrong with the Martin, but everyone should own a flea. Serious instrument, but tough enough to throw in the trunk of the car. Brilliant concept.

Top Bottom