PDA

View Full Version : Video Lesson 2 - Summer Breeze

rayan
02-03-2008, 10:10 PM
Post your videos of this song!

UkuLeLesReggAe
02-04-2008, 01:50 AM
this sucks so much!!! i hate being at school, you have no f-king life!!! all you do is study, and in my case... study and fail, i have no time for anything at the moment :'( !

but i cant wait!

Orlando
02-04-2008, 03:43 AM
Great lesson as always guys!

KosLooney
02-04-2008, 06:22 AM
Great lesson indeed:D

The strum is pretty easy. Made a very short vid from it: CLICKY (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCeW2XHxwYM)
Sound quality isn't great, cause I recorded it with my laptops mic and webcam. Will see if i can borrow my friends samson c01u, think that will improve the sound quite a bit.

I'm not very good in picking. So that will take some longer time, before a vid shows up from that... (don't let me start about the whole video;))

kyle
02-04-2008, 09:57 AM
argh!! im at school till 4 in the afternoon and im watching in my business class!! hahah i want my uke right nooooow

UKESTAR
02-04-2008, 10:13 AM
Can anyone tell if Aldrine is hammering or muting with his pinky during the strumming section of Summer Breeze?

Did I miss something.....I can't seem to find where that was explained??

Weezy
02-04-2008, 12:55 PM
First class as always. Awesome video!

tripl3thr33
02-04-2008, 02:13 PM
haha "jo-jo" thats what my mom calls me.... my first name is joel thats y lol.

great job as always. when aldrine did the uke string email again, that got me thinking about the IAH episodes. for newcomers that know nothing about the IAH episodes, is it possible to upload them to here? with the uke giveaway, i think more people that are joining may have never heard of IAH and last time i remembered, it was kind of slow. but im also assuming theres some kind of copyright with the video footage since you guys were paid to do it for them before.

i also like that suggestion for tabbing aldrine's songs. eases off the load of writing tabs if he ever decides to. btw, does my tabbing cmj count? lol anyways great job guys, keep it up.

Dominator
02-04-2008, 02:17 PM
Can anyone tell if Aldrine is hammering or muting with his pinky during the strumming section of Summer Breeze?

He uses the pinky for muting. He uses this technique in Bandito Tyler as well as many of his other tunes.

BTW, excellent work on the lesson Aldrine.

Ukulele_Junkie
02-04-2008, 02:47 PM

Aldrine always uses his pinky to mute things even from his lessons in imhawaii.com he showed it on his well runs dry tutorial, the dude jus has a really strong pinky, I can't do that but hammering and jus the mute with ur strum sounds almost the same.

Terrell
02-04-2008, 02:48 PM
haha yep so this is a fun song to play. i just finished watching the video and 15 minutes later made a little video of me playin it. sorry tho i can't sing:p haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRXIDBLLZFQ

CI24
02-04-2008, 02:56 PM
is there like a zshare link for this vid becuase i woul like to download it and put it on my ipod

UKESTAR
02-04-2008, 03:01 PM
He uses the pinky for muting. He uses this technique in Bandito Tyler as well as many of his other tunes.

BTW, excellent work on the lesson Aldrine.

Dominator,

Thanks. When do I mute...I can't tell...it is too fast on the video:eek:??

-UKESTAR

UKESTAR
02-04-2008, 04:14 PM
Is the Bm chord Aldrine uses in Summer Breeze done by just barring the entire second fret? The graphic chord thing on the video is a little confusing for this one. Anyone know??

NukeDOC
02-04-2008, 04:18 PM
Is the Bm chord Aldrine uses in Summer Breeze done by just barring the entire second fret? The graphic chord thing on the video is a little confusing for this one. Anyone know??
yep... its actually a Bm7, but it usually works whenever tou need a Bm.

UKESTAR
02-04-2008, 04:26 PM
yep... its actually a Bm7, but it usually works whenever tou need a Bm.

Gracias amigo..

UkuLeLesReggAe
02-04-2008, 07:12 PM
just watched it through, perfect as always... keep em coming!

UKESTAR
02-04-2008, 07:44 PM
The E chord method that Aldrine shows (Summer Breeze) is really hard for me to do. For some reason, my finger that goes on the 4th fret always pushes down on the A string and it is not supposed to touch it......is there an alternate way to get the same sound or something I can do to make it work???

GX9901
02-04-2008, 08:06 PM
The E chord method that Aldrine shows (Summer Breeze) is really hard for me to do. For some reason, my finger that goes on the 4th fret always pushes down on the A string and it is not supposed to touch it......is there an alternate way to get the same sound or something I can do to make it work???

I'm not sure if it's actually easier for other people, but when I play the E chord, I use my ring finger to bar the 2nd-4th strings instead of squeezing 2 or 3 fingers in ther for those 3 strings. I'm not sure if my fingers are double jointed or what, but it's much easier for me to play the E chord that way and also easier to transition in and out of the E chord. It IS one of the most challenging chord shapes though.

davoomac
02-05-2008, 02:45 AM
I have the same problem with barring the 4th fret with the ring finger to make an E chord. My finger just simply doesn't bend backwards like Aldrine's finger does. I've been playing for a while though so if I really needed to I could do it. But I end up just barring the whole 4th fret and muting the A string. Doing it this way, you miss out on one of the notes, but it isn't too noticable.

davoomac
02-05-2008, 03:55 AM
is there like a zshare link for this vid becuase i woul like to download it and put it on my ipod

Just download it using a service like viddownloader or keepvid.

If you use mac and use safari, you can use the activity window to look at everything that is loaded on the webpage. you will be able to see the video, just hold down option and double click to download.

UKESTAR
02-05-2008, 07:39 AM
I'm not sure if it's actually easier for other people, but when I play the E chord, I use my ring finger to bar the 2nd-4th strings instead of squeezing 2 or 3 fingers in ther for those 3 strings. I'm not sure if my fingers are double jointed or what, but it's much easier for me to play the E chord that way and also easier to transition in and out of the E chord. It IS one of the most challenging chord shapes though.

That is the issue...my fingers don't bend.......at all. I always need to find away around these types of chords.........thanks though.

UKESTAR
02-05-2008, 07:41 AM
I have the same problem with barring the 4th fret with the ring finger to make an E chord. My finger just simply doesn't bend backwards like Aldrine's finger does. I've been playing for a while though so if I really needed to I could do it. But I end up just barring the whole 4th fret and muting the A string. Doing it this way, you miss out on one of the notes, but it isn't too noticable.

Thanks man....I will try that...sounds more manageable for fingers that don't bend backwards.
:eek:

Aldrine Guerrero
02-05-2008, 10:09 AM
The tutorial is basically a watered down version of the one that i do on YouTube. If you guys want the same strumming as the one in the video, then I suggest that you keep strumming even during the chunks so that you get that percussive sound. I use the 2 finger roll a lot in this one. I might do a recap on the 2 finger roll for this website. I really feel that that technique is VERY useful, especially when trying to get that percussive feel.

Keonikapila
02-05-2008, 12:43 PM

Actually, if you're muting the A string your not really missing the note...that same note (B, in this case) is being played on the G string. If you need to use that note as a melody note during the strum, you could always just hold it that way and upstrum.

UKESTAR
02-05-2008, 12:48 PM
The tutorial is basically a watered down version of the one that i do on YouTube. If you guys want the same strumming as the one in the video, then I suggest that you keep strumming even during the chunks so that you get that percussive sound. I use the 2 finger roll a lot in this one. I might do a recap on the 2 finger roll for this website. I really feel that that technique is VERY useful, especially when trying to get that percussive feel.

I am doing the "Jake triplet into a chunk" instead of the down up chunk...for whatever reason, it is easier for me....sounds about the same, but with a twist.......what do you think?
:eek:

davoomac
02-05-2008, 01:09 PM
Actually, if you're muting the A string your not really missing the note...that same note (B, in this case) is being played on the G string. If you need to use that note as a melody note during the strum, you could always just hold it that way and upstrum.

Oh yeah haha :D good point.

experimentjon
02-14-2008, 10:41 PM
Oh wow. I had wondered where this video lesson was, but was too embarassed to ask. Then I found it through Dom's site. How did I not know that there was an actual "website" part of UU? Sweet! This made my day.

acabooe
02-15-2008, 03:53 AM
I had alot of trouble doing that chord too.

With my 1st finger barring the 2nd fret, my 3rd finger would always hit the A string at the 4th fret.
The solution that I came up with is this:

I use my first finger on the A string at the 2nd fret, and then I have enough room for my 3rd finger to bar the G,C, and E strings.

It took some practice ( about 2 hours ) to get it right without accidently muting the A string, but now I can do it, and I am ( when I have time ) working on putting it all together.

By the way, good job Terrell, no worries about the picking, practice makes perfect.

Aloha
Acabooe:cool: ( pronounced: Ah Kah Bow Oh Ay )

Ikaru
02-17-2008, 03:45 PM
Heya I just recorded my attempt to play this. Since I'm very weak at strumming and strumming patterns. I was very thankful for this lesson. Special thanks for keeping the strumming easy (no power pinky yea :D). Since I never heared the original version of this song I added an alternative ending. (please don't kill me ;) ).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e65qxsUVCDk

michaelphipps
02-22-2008, 01:38 AM
How do you do a chunk? I seem to get the chunk sound (fluke - I really don't know what I am doing, it just happens), but I cannot do a chunk using the strumming pattern that was shown?

There are a few techniques that Aldrine takes for granted that beginners all know.

A glossary with very short videos demonstrating the different techniques would be really useful.

Apart from that, I found the finger picking very easy to pick up. Thanks Aldrine!

acabooe
02-22-2008, 02:16 AM
Michaelphipps,

Hey that is a good idea.
Why don't you post your glossary idea in the site suggestion setion, and mabye it will happen.
You know I saw that someone posted a thing about UU having shirts.
I think that it was like 3 weeks or less ago, well n e wayz, now they have shirts.
If people want something enough, they can effect change.

Aloha
Acabo'oe:cool:

davoomac
02-22-2008, 04:13 AM
I learned to "chunk" by using the palm/thumb area to mute the strings while at the same time strumming using the index finger. This is done during the down motion strum. If it helps, try landing and resting as much of your right palm as you can on the strings while strumming with your finger.

If you can't find a video on how to do this online. I can make one if you want.

UkuLeLesReggAe
02-24-2008, 11:16 PM
just out of curiosity... has anybody posted tabs for this song yet?? because i made some and i think they are correct, Aldrines version that he played for the lesson...

If not i bags them!! i need to help out somehow, i feel so useless on this board :(

davoomac
02-25-2008, 02:08 AM
just out of curiosity... has anybody posted tabs for this song yet?? because i made some and i think they are correct, Aldrines version that he played for the lesson...

If not i bags them!! i need to help out somehow, i feel so useless on this board :(

you made some tabs? post it up and we'll have a look at it and let you know if its right.

UkuLeLesReggAe
02-25-2008, 08:55 PM
well i havnt made them but i can make them

give me about 1 hour.. im not doing anything right now anyway...

UkuLeLesReggAe
02-25-2008, 09:43 PM
Strumming Pattern at the beginning. UU video.

A | -----5-2-0------------------------------------
E | -2/3---3---3-2-0----0-----------------------
C | -3/4---4-----2---2--1-----------------------
G | -------0-----2------2------------------------
............EM......D........A

Strumming Pattern. UU video.

G (extended)
A | -20----2------2-------------------------------------
E | -24----23-----2-------------------------------------
C | -24----2------2---2---------------------------------
G | -24----2-3----2---3----------------------------------
.....*E......^......*D.^AM

*Strumming Style… down, up, chunk
^Strumming Style… up, up, down, chunk

by the video it has:

Strumming pattern x2, Picking pattern x2, Strumming pattern x1.. (Aldrine starts to sing) strumming pattern x2 [end video]

thats what i got, watched it about 20 times and to the video it looks correct to me, just when i post the tab it might not be spaced properly etc...

if its correct enough, i can do one for love song..

thanks

UkuLeLesReggAe
02-26-2008, 07:14 PM
just realised i didnt really tab it, just put 2 tab bits... so im sure thats 100% correct from the UU video, ill tab it properly later...

but im going to do the youtube one soon, my spaces etc are hard to understand... dunno why

but little busy now, will attempt later

Dominator
02-26-2008, 08:01 PM

Yep, I put it together and they've been up on my site for a few weeks.

http://dominator.ukeland.com/Images/uu_summer_breeze.pdf

UkuLeLesReggAe
02-27-2008, 01:13 AM
^ well i tried, what a waste of time...

davoomac
02-27-2008, 01:19 AM
^ well i tried, what a waste of time...

Well don't give up though. How can you learn anything if you try and stop! :confused: keep at it!

what is it that you can't get?

UkuCouS
02-27-2008, 04:00 AM
Here's my try http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=rfuP5-Q6Q94
As I say in the description, excuse my mic. my uke really sounds better than that.

bluesuke
02-27-2008, 04:21 AM
This is my first video sorry about the soun I had to use my camera:eekhttp://www.youtube.com/bluesuke

UkuLeLesReggAe
02-27-2008, 10:44 AM
Well don't give up though. How can you learn anything if you try and stop! :confused: keep at it!

what is it that you can't get?

nothing i suppose, i just don't have the time because of school and work.. it sucks so much.. i dont have time for anything.

nikolo727
03-02-2008, 10:03 AM
thanks to the UU team and of course Aldrine, I learned the notes and chords for this song in about 45 minutes.

To my knowledge, NO OTHER PLACE can teach you a full, great song, that fast.

now all I need to do is practice.

Thank you guys for putting this video together.

once I really get it down and can do it "second nature-like" I WILL make a vid and post it here and on youtube.

thanks for everything staff, finally there is just a great site for ukulele players to just come talk about the jumping flea, learn new songs, and make friends all for this great instrument.

thank you

Dominator
03-02-2008, 11:59 AM
Nikolo,
Please check your Private Messages and respond back.
Thanks

andrew
03-02-2008, 03:53 PM
A little late to the party, but if anyone is having problems, like I did, getting where the chord changes go in the lyrics, I made a visual aid (chord tab):

Summer Breeze by Seals and Croft
Arranged by Aldrine Guerrera / UkuleleUnderground.com
See tabs by Dominator (http://dominator.ukeland.com/) for strum patterns and solo fingering

Chords (GCEA):
Em - 0432
E -- 4442
G -- 4232
D -- 2220
Am - 2000
A -- 2100
Bm - 4222

E G
See the curtains hanging in the window
D A E G D A
In the evening on a Friday night
E G
A little light a-shining through the window
D A E G D A
Lets me know every thing's all right

[Chorus]
Am Bm
Summer breeze, makes me feel fine
Am Bm
Blowing through the jasmine in my mind
<Picking Section: Em D A >
Am Bm
Summer breeze, makes me feel fine
Am Bm
Blowing through the jasmine in my mind
<Picking Section: Em D A >

E G
See the paper laying on the sidewalk
D A E G D A
A little music from the house next door
E G
So I walk on up to the door step
D A E G D A
Through the screen and across the floor

{Chorus}

[bridge - off strum pattern for first two lines]
E G
Sweet days of summer, the jasmine's in bloom
D A
July is dressed up and playing her tune
E G D A
When I come home from a hard day's work
E G D A
And you're waiting there, not a care in the world

E G
See the smile a-waiting in the kitchen
D A E G D A
Food cooking and the plates for two
E G
Feel the arms that reach out to hold me
D A E G D A
In the evening when the day is through

{Chorus}

Disclaimer: I am not a musician, nor do I play one on TV, so the above represents a best guess. Please take it as such.

davoomac
03-02-2008, 04:00 PM
Hey andrew, is this based off of that youtube video by aldrine? for the chorus it should be Am and Bm and then Em.

andrew
03-02-2008, 05:46 PM
Hey andrew, is this based off of that youtube video by aldrine? for the chorus it should be Am and Bm and then Em.

Thanks. Fixed. Or at least changed. :)

liquid_wind
12-16-2008, 05:48 PM
What is the strumming pattern in the chorus?