Hemlock top?

ukeeku

Reaction score
I have access to a ton of Hemlock and wondered how it would be for a top. grain looks super tight and I know it is in the same famly as spruce. any ideas?

You can pack it up in So Crates!

I have access to a ton of Hemlock and wondered how it would be for a top. grain looks super tight and I know it is in the same famly as spruce. any ideas?

Brad Donaldson's "Youthalele" prototype was built entirely out of hemlock - surprisingly, though the uke didn't have a finish on it when I played with it, the wood had a definite quilt pattern to it and the uke sounded just great! It certainly has to be at least as dense and strong as Western red cedar, IMO - I think it would work out great!

As bbycrts replied, I built the "youthalele" out of western hemlock. My local builders supply had it on sale and a lot of it was quarter sawn. The piece I bought was quarter sawn, tight grain with a quilt pattern, which is rare in quarter sawn wood. It worked great, I built the whole uke out of it.

Brad

This is why I love this place. How big does it have to be to make a top? They are currently 3/4" X 6-8" X 6-8'
I have a civic and was thinking of getting maybe 4' lengths to fit in the car. would that be OK?
Keep in mind, if I get it free (And I will), would any one be intersted in a few to try out?
it is from the middle of Michigan, along MI Lake, so I dont know the specific species.

Nice furniture wood too. A lot of Craftsman style homes in the early 1900's had hemlock trim until the blight made it scarce. Neat stuff to work with.

I guess it is Eastern Hemlock. Googled it and there it was.

Top Bottom