Just got my uke today!

UkeCanDoIt!

Reaction score
I got my Makala MK-S ukulele today! I was excited to start learning with it! I was working on the tuning and I know that the strings will take a little time to settle. I've used the stretching technique suggested here and it has helped quite a bit.

Out of curiosity, I went to the Guitar Center to see if they had better strings to upgrade to. The only strings they had were the Martin M600 strings. I'm assuming that these aren't what I'd want to put on my uke if it's the standard GCEA tuning? I believe the guy behind the counter said the Martin M600 strings are BF#DA? I don't know the first thing about strings and tuning, so I thought I'd ask.

Here's a picture of my new/first ukelele!

MyMakalaUke.jpg

Congrats on the new addition to the family!

Sounds like those would be Baritone strings to me. You might just wanna get ukulele strings online like from Juststrings.Com or MGM. Can't go wrong there. :D

I'll have to check those sources out. The Martin M600 Strings were labeled Soprano/Concert. Must be a different tuning? How do I know what tuning I have? I mean, I know it's GCEA, but is that tuning called something specific? Just want to make sure I'm getting the proper strings.

First, let me tell ya, I love Martin Strings. Seriously, they make me smile! As for the labeling Martin Labels the back with the "older" tuning. It's just a step higher. The strings can be tuned gCEA which is now considered "standard".

I'd say just strum with your standard setup a bit, you were on a tight budget right? After a month or so all the little quirks inside the uke will have flattened out and you will know what sound it has. If that sound really annoys you, try some other strings like a pair of loud Aquilas or some smooth Worths.

The point is, get to know the sound of your ukulele now before making changes, that way the "better" strings will have more impact and you will be more happy. At least, that's my take on it.

Good luck finding your way with your new little friend, plenty of easy well-known songs to get you started. chordie.com, tropicalstormhawaii.com and many other sites to plow through :)

I hate Martin strings.

It's all personal taste, of course, but I really don't like the sound or the feels.
Personally, I'd say order some Aquilas or Worths. You get what you pay for when it comes to strings.

Yeah wait a while on the strings. Because you will play for a while... start to love your uke... and then notice little things about the strings that you may not like. So you explore and try new strings, and when you find some that make your new passion even better then it will put you in a very good mood =)

Congratulations man!

Don't forget all the great learning
resources here & on the net.
I use the "interactive chord chart for everyone"
a link for which is found in the 'Uke Talk' subforum.
Just be sure to choose the correct tuning in the
upper right corner. It also provides tuning tones
and "play alongs."

Enjoy!

Congrats and welcome to the wonderful world of the Ukulele!!!!

i brought the exact same uke to start on. I put aquila's on after a month. It was a great upgrade from the standard strings. My sticker has started peeling from around the sound hole - it was my fault, i have learnt to play without jewellery on my wrist now

GL & HF :D

As soon as I saw that sticker I started picking at it to see how easily it will come off. It's laying pretty flat, but I suspect that over time it'll come off. If the mood strikes me, I may just take it off myself. :)

congrats on the uke, I just picked up a LU21C the other day from a local music store. I paid $90 for it so I don't feel tto bad since I didn't have to wait. My wife said I need to wait til we go to Hawaii before I get a "pretty one"

The fifty bucks will be well worth the fun you're going to have with it! The Ukulele is about the happiest and friendliest instrument there is.:D Have a great time with it!

Top Bottom