"Sailor" string update

rem50

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
This is just FYI stuff. I got my sailor soprano from uke republic about a week ago. I believe it had aquila's on them when it arrived. I did not much care for them on that. I then put on Koo'lau golds and was not impressed at all with the sound on that uke. I bet they would sound great on a banjo/ragtime-ish uke. I then put on some worth browns and now we are getting somewhere! I am going to give them a chance to break in and see what happens. They are really trying to put out the mellower sound I want. Just thought some of you might like to hear.

Aloha Rem50,
congtrats on the new Sailor..hope you find the right strings for them...Happy strummings..MM Stan

Congrats. Lot's of folks have liked those browns for bringing out the wood tones.

Put southcoast ukes strings on your list. They are a hair less mellow than the worth but add a bit of clarity to the sound. Definitely worth an experiment. I ended up liking the worth clears over the southcoasts on a Koaloha but it was a close decision and I will probably revisit it in the future.

I will try the southcoast next. Who do oyu get them from?

I have WB on my KPK soprano and love the sound they bring out!

Thanks for the update---I love hearing how different sets of strings work for different players.

Here are some ideas about South Coast --- the Light Gauge set is bright when tuned to D6 and mellow when tuned to C6. I found the Medium Gauge set too bright (when strummed) for my Kamaka soprano---but it's a bright instrument. I heartily recommend giving South Coast strings a try.

And one general tip for checking out strings---try to give each set at least two or three weeks before passing judgement. I'm finding that strings continue to play into their sound well after they've finished stretching. The South Coast Light Gauge set, for example, only won my heart after about three weeks. Now a couple weeks later, they sound even better. Same deal with the Hilos on my Kamaka---way too rough at first---imagine duller, louder "Aquila scrape"---but they're smoothing out nicely, and slowly winning my heart. Hey, come to think of it, I didn't give the South Coast Mediums much time on the Kamaka... next string change they'll get another shot!

Top Bottom