Double-puka ukuleles

PoiDog

Reaction score
I've started to become enamored with the double-puka look (like the Mele tenor shown here), and was wondering if anyone had experience with it and how it sounds compared to the traditional single-hole model.

I'm getting closer and closer to having enough money to afford either a KoAloha or Kanilea, and am wondering if maybe going outside to something a bit different would be a good idea. I haven't seen any double-puka models around to give them a test strum, so I thought I'd pick the experience of the experienced.

Mahalo nui loa for the help!

If you can ever find one used, Pete Howlett made some great double-puka ukes back in the 90's Here

Don't know if there's any advantage to having 2 sound holes but it does look cool.

They sound great...!!! I had a Mele koa top w/mahogany back and sides baritone that was a great ukulele. I only sold it because the neck was too wide for my style of playing.

Single sound hole or double, I'm a fan of any design that moves the sound hole up and away from the middle of the sound board to the upper bout which is an area that normally doesn't generate a lot of vibration. Structurally it makes more sense to me and by doing so I can also create a larger resonating surface by moving the lower horizontal brace higher. The increase in vibrating surface is probably close to 15%. I'm also able to get away with a bit less bracing because of the sound hole placement. I really don't know how the other guys build or brace theirs so I can't comment on their designs. The ukes I build with alternative sound hole placements tend to be a bit more open and have more volume than the more traditional sound hole placements.

Attachments

• DSC_0020 copy.jpg
    DSC_0020 copy.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC_0020.jpg
    DSC_0020.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 40
  • gecko3 copy 2.jpg
    gecko3 copy 2.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC_0077 copy.jpg
    DSC_0077 copy.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 45
Single sound hole or double, I'm a fan of any design that moves the sound hole up and away from the middle of the sound board to the upper bout which is an area that normally doesn't generate a lot of vibration. Structurally it makes more sense to me and by doing so I can also create a larger resonating surface by moving the lower horizontal brace higher. The increase in vibrating surface is probably close to 15%. I'm also able to get away with a bit less bracing because of the sound hole placement. I really don't know how the other guys build or brace theirs so I can't comment on their designs. The ukes I build with alternative sound hole placements tend to be a bit more open and have more volume than the more traditional sound hole placements.

Man oh man, one day I hope to be able to get a piece from your shop. So sweet.

I've played the Mele double puka and more recently a Grimes double puka. While it's been a while since I played the Mele, the Grimes struck me with its amazing resonance and volume.

I've started to become enamored with the double-puka look (like the Mele tenor shown here), and was wondering if anyone had experience with it and how it sounds compared to the traditional single-hole model.

I'm getting closer and closer to having enough money to afford either a KoAloha or Kanilea, and am wondering if maybe going outside to something a bit different would be a good idea. I haven't seen any double-puka models around to give them a test strum, so I thought I'd pick the experience of the experienced.

I enjoy my koa top mele double puka..with fishman prefix pro....
034.jpg

Only heard them online, but when compared to the single holed models, I always thought the double Pukas sounded better....fuller....louder.

I'm a fan of any design that moves the sound hole up and away from the middle of the sound board to the upper bout which is an area that normally doesn't generate a lot of vibration.
Interesting. I have a Boat Paddle tenor with a sound hole on the right shoulder, but an unusual size and shape for a hole. You have explained in part why it is so much louder than my other ukes: more vibrating surface area. Thank you.

I would also be curious about how the size (diameter) of the holes affects the sound. Sound hole placement and size is fascinating stuff and I've read a little bit online about how they influence the resulting sound, but little is published (at least for online viewing).

I had a Riptide with a too-small, off-centre front hole and a large side hole that, in my mind, should have been exchanged for one another. I have a Beansprout baritone with a small central hole that - again to my ears - restricts the sound output. Had I any skills in luthiery, I'd love to put some ideas to a rigorous test on a lab bench.

And now, of course, you have awoken my slumbering UAS with your pictures. I must look at your baritone offerings.

I also thought the Mele was attractive and would love to hear it in action.

I have a Tangi double puka and, I love it. It's not any quieter, but I wouldn't say it's any louder than my other ukes either.

Interesting. I have a Boat Paddle tenor with a sound hole on the right shoulder, but an unusual size and shape for a hole. You have explained in part why it is so much louder than my other ukes: more vibrating surface area. Thank you.

I haven't seen any difference in bracing patterns in any other dual sound hole ukes but mine, so that may or may not make a difference. I think it does. It may simply be that the sound hole arrangement allows for a larger uninterrupted sound board. I can't speak about anyone else's techniques or designs but my own. I doubt if my bracing patterns are similar to anyone else's.
Oh, and I'm sorry, I don't build baritones. They just don't do anything for me. :(

Last edited:

So does this mean we'll be seeing quite a few of your future builds incorporating the soundhole(s) to the upper bout?
I have heard a few custom guitars incorporating this over the years, and they were loud and sounded great.

With ukuleles it's probably even more beneficial, because of the lower string tensions involved.

About the only reason more aren't seen probably is because of traditionalists, and the fear by builders they might be
slower movers in the marketplace.......

........but,...ummm,....

........"slow moving" in the marketplace shouldn't really one of your concerns! :drool:

I'd love to pick up a AAAAA Koa concert with a single soundhole on the upper bout, a side soundport nearby, ebony
fingerboard with snowflake markers, abalone trim along top and headstock, and a tasteful headstock inlay,.......

..........with a Moore Bettah label inside! :bowdown:

......just waiting for your build list to open up again. Might be a long wait, i know. :eek:ld:

:cheers:

Last edited:

If you go to my YouTube page (link in my.Sig) I have a.double/single puja comparison. I liked both my ukes and my next Mele will be a double puka 6 string.

You are exactly right Joe. The market usually dictates what a builder builds. Most customers who are interested in high end instruments tend to be a bit conservative and are reluctant to take chances. When I first introduced side sound ports on my ukuleles about five years ago many people were doubtful about them and they were a hard sell. Today, about half of the custom ukes I build are requested with side sound ports. Most ukulele builders take their design cues from guitar builders, who can be very traditional in their approach. However, ukuleles are very different from guitars and while we share many similar techniques there is no reason to get into a "mini-guitar" trap when considering design. I'm not a rogue when it comes to building and I'm sure I've never come up with anything actually new, but lately I've been having a lot of fun and success with moving the sound hole from the middle of the sound board. I'm also placing more side sound ports on the lower bout where I think it makes more sense. Yes, you'll be seeing more ukes of mine along these lines in the future.

Ssooooo, If I hear Chuck correctly, many people may think double pukas sound better, louder, etc. not because of two holes, but because of their placement?????

There are so many variables in construction it's hard to be certain. But yes, that's my thinking. Until I change my mind at least.
(And honestly, if your theories are changing weekly you aren't thinking hard enough!)

Thanks! This has been a very interesting thread!

I've never really cared for the double puka look, but everything Chuck said makes a lot of sense.

It's also interesting that you mention Kanile'a as a uke you'd be interested in. I have a Kanile'a t-shirt and the uke they chose to depict on the back is a double puka design (with a single-sided headstock even). I've never seen a double puka Kanile'a in real life...but maybe they would do them custom? (I have seen a single-sided headstock on a Kanile'a though).

Oh, and I'm sorry, I don't build baritones. They just don't do anything for me. :(
I suspect you could hear me sobbing from where you were sitting....

My wife says thank you. She plans to buy a new couch, instead. She did, however, offer to buy me a keyhole attachment for my power drill so I could make my own holes...

I suspect you could hear me sobbing from where you were sitting....

My wife says thank you. She plans to buy a new couch, instead. She did, however, offer to buy me a keyhole attachment for my power drill so I could make my own holes...

Yes, I know. Your wife got to me before you did.

(shhh....to everyone else, I really do build baris. :) )

You are exactly right Joe. The market usually dictates what a builder builds. Most customers who are interested in high end instruments tend to be a bit conservative and are reluctant to take chances. When I first introduced side sound ports on my ukuleles about five years ago many people were doubtful about them and they were a hard sell. Today, about half of the custom ukes I build are requested with side sound ports. Most ukulele builders take their design cues from guitar builders, who can be very traditional in their approach. However, ukuleles are very different from guitars and while we share many similar techniques there is no reason to get into a "mini-guitar" trap when considering design. I'm not a rogue when it comes to building and I'm sure I've never come up with anything actually new, but lately I've been having a lot of fun and success with moving the sound hole from the middle of the sound board. I'm also placing more side sound ports on the lower bout where I think it makes more sense. Yes, you'll be seeing more ukes of mine along these lines in the future.

I kind of thought of you as a bit of a maverick when it comes to building, lol.
Some builders won't touch a soundport in the upper or lower bout, even though i can honestly say i really
like it in the Mermaid soprano i own of yours. (a few of my custom guitars have it also)
Same for any thought of moving the main soundhole to the upper bout. some just won't consider it,.....as against tradition.

The side port is just for the players enjoyment, really, but isn't that why most of us play most any instrument. Getting to
actually "hear" more of what listeners in front of the instrument is hearing is a big plus in my mind.

Anyway,....i hope to eventually locate one of your concerts with these features.

When you have a need to start up another waiting list, please consider me as close to the top as you might be able. (email is best)

cheers,
Joe T

Last edited:
Top Bottom