The Chunk Strum, question.

Dane

Reaction score
I've tried this a number of times and I've been looking it up here and elsewhere. I THINK I'm quite close. Is it that you run your fingernails down the strings and then twist your wrist so that it mutes the strings instantly afterwards?

I'm really sorry, I'm sure this has been answered a number of times before. But I still am having trouble.

Thats It. It just comes to you after awhile.

Aah ok. I was explaining to someone that I wanted to learn how to do it, and I said "Look I can't do it" and I did it on accident haha, I was excited then. I need to work on my index finger strumming though, I've used my thumb for over a year so I am having a little trouble making it sound nice instead of twangy.

Yeah. I just started using my thumb on the upstrokes. That nail of the index is clean sounding.

I'm not bad with my thumb, although I used the upstrokes mostly to do a kind of masking the transitions between chords, I liked the effect, but otherwise I never up-strum with my thumb.

I think my nail sounds twangy, I like flesh on strings better personally.

I'm not bad with my thumb, although I used the upstrokes mostly to do a kind of masking the transitions between chords, I liked the effect, but otherwise I never up-strum with my thumb.

I think my nail sounds twangy, I like flesh on strings better personally.

did you want me to make a video for you?? like a little tutorial?
i can get started on it tonight if u like.

That would be great! If you could show like... a slowed down strum, telling where you like to make contact with your hand, fingers, nails, etc.. for the different types of strums would be great. If that's not too much to ask. I am all about precision and I'd like to have the best form possible (Because I don't have the availability of formal lessons here, at least not that I can find)

That would be great! If you could show like... a slowed down strum, telling where you like to make contact with your hand, fingers, nails, etc.. for the different types of strums would be great. If that's not too much to ask. I am all about precision and I'd like to have the best form possible (Because I don't have the availability of formal lessons here, at least not that I can find)

no dramas dude. ill pm u once i put it on youtube k.. ill get on it once i put new strings on.. Im still at work finish in 1 hour. so ill get started once i get home

cheers

Thank you very much. I have to pack up the rest of my apartment to move tomorrow, I'll make sure to take my uke breaks haha

This is great i've been trying to get the chunk strum right myself. I've kinda figured it out but a real video lesson on it is gonna be great.:rock:

This sounds great. Are you going to share?

I kind of flick the strings with my index finger, but I've seen other people do it much more subtle-like, and I'd like to learn that.

That was great! Perfect, I was close, except that my chunk was harder to recover from, hard to keep the momentum, also much louder haha. My chunk also was making the outside of my index finger swell up... Thank you very much!

What is your uke? Mango?

my uke is a custom.
Blackwood and curly koa Tenor

just added D'adarios strings

Hope it helped and sorry if it was rushed or not too helpful

This just started clicking for me consistently about a month ago, and what helped me was I started using the nail of my middle finger instead of trying to chunk with my index finger. Once I got this motion smoothed out, it became easy to do it using middle, index or even all the fingers depending on how much effect I wanted. Anyways, it just sort of developed 'all of a sudden' in my case.

Good luck and have fun!

Same happened with me, I'm still unable to change chords during an down up chunk up down, up up chunk up down. My mind can't process both yet haha. And im still using my index but in a different way, it does kinda make me miss some up strums after a chunk though, I'm still working on it.

Top Bottom