PDA

View Full Version : The Chunk Strum, question.

Dane
08-20-2008, 04:48 PM
I've tried this a number of times and I've been looking it up here and elsewhere. I THINK I'm quite close. Is it that you run your fingernails down the strings and then twist your wrist so that it mutes the strings instantly afterwards?

I'm really sorry, I'm sure this has been answered a number of times before. But I still am having trouble.

david98116
08-20-2008, 05:14 PM
Thats It. It just comes to you after awhile.

Dane
08-20-2008, 05:54 PM
Aah ok. I was explaining to someone that I wanted to learn how to do it, and I said "Look I can't do it" and I did it on accident haha, I was excited then. I need to work on my index finger strumming though, I've used my thumb for over a year so I am having a little trouble making it sound nice instead of twangy.

david98116
08-20-2008, 08:17 PM
Yeah. I just started using my thumb on the upstrokes. That nail of the index is clean sounding.

Dane
08-20-2008, 08:26 PM
I'm not bad with my thumb, although I used the upstrokes mostly to do a kind of masking the transitions between chords, I liked the effect, but otherwise I never up-strum with my thumb.

I think my nail sounds twangy, I like flesh on strings better personally.

grappler
08-20-2008, 10:05 PM
I'm not bad with my thumb, although I used the upstrokes mostly to do a kind of masking the transitions between chords, I liked the effect, but otherwise I never up-strum with my thumb.

I think my nail sounds twangy, I like flesh on strings better personally.

did you want me to make a video for you?? like a little tutorial?
i can get started on it tonight if u like.

Dane
08-20-2008, 10:09 PM
That would be great! If you could show like... a slowed down strum, telling where you like to make contact with your hand, fingers, nails, etc.. for the different types of strums would be great. If that's not too much to ask. I am all about precision and I'd like to have the best form possible (Because I don't have the availability of formal lessons here, at least not that I can find)

grappler
08-20-2008, 10:11 PM
That would be great! If you could show like... a slowed down strum, telling where you like to make contact with your hand, fingers, nails, etc.. for the different types of strums would be great. If that's not too much to ask. I am all about precision and I'd like to have the best form possible (Because I don't have the availability of formal lessons here, at least not that I can find)

no dramas dude. ill pm u once i put it on youtube k.. ill get on it once i put new strings on.. Im still at work finish in 1 hour. so ill get started once i get home

cheers

Dane
08-20-2008, 10:16 PM
Thank you very much. I have to pack up the rest of my apartment to move tomorrow, I'll make sure to take my uke breaks haha

e10rice
08-21-2008, 07:44 AM
This is great i've been trying to get the chunk strum right myself. I've kinda figured it out but a real video lesson on it is gonna be great.:rock:

sukie
08-21-2008, 08:07 AM
This sounds great. Are you going to share?

Dane
08-21-2008, 08:22 AM
I kind of flick the strings with my index finger, but I've seen other people do it much more subtle-like, and I'd like to learn that.

grappler
08-21-2008, 06:25 PM
here dane

have a look at this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TO74OzNyPM

sorry ifs it bad quality
hope you can follow it buddy

Dane
08-21-2008, 06:50 PM
That was great! Perfect, I was close, except that my chunk was harder to recover from, hard to keep the momentum, also much louder haha. My chunk also was making the outside of my index finger swell up... Thank you very much!

What is your uke? Mango?

grappler
08-21-2008, 09:27 PM
my uke is a custom.
Blackwood and curly koa Tenor

just added D'adarios strings

Hope it helped and sorry if it was rushed or not too helpful

NotoriousMOK
08-22-2008, 10:54 AM
This just started clicking for me consistently about a month ago, and what helped me was I started using the nail of my middle finger instead of trying to chunk with my index finger. Once I got this motion smoothed out, it became easy to do it using middle, index or even all the fingers depending on how much effect I wanted. Anyways, it just sort of developed 'all of a sudden' in my case.

Good luck and have fun!

Dane
08-22-2008, 02:16 PM
Same happened with me, I'm still unable to change chords during an down up chunk up down, up up chunk up down. My mind can't process both yet haha. And im still using my index but in a different way, it does kinda make me miss some up strums after a chunk though, I'm still working on it.

AshleyB
08-22-2008, 02:31 PM
A lesson from Jake
http://www.tothestage.com/MediaDetail.PAGE?ActiveID=1142&MediaType=2&MediaId=347

You can look in this thread for other videos
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=164&highlight=chunking

Dane
08-22-2008, 08:04 PM
Alright! I liked his three finger temolo vid on there too.

sukie
08-23-2008, 04:38 AM
Thanks Grappler. You made it look attainable -- with practice. Nice little video.

Dane
08-23-2008, 07:47 AM
I'm getting better, I like the use of the middle finger now better. I still have a little trouble after a chunk doing an upstroke, but only when played fast, I kind of have to dig in further to get it. Otherwise I just play a down up chunk down, up up chunk down... It doesn't sound bad, but it isn't right haha.

grappler
09-05-2008, 02:17 AM
I'm getting better, I like the use of the middle finger now better. I still have a little trouble after a chunk doing an upstroke, but only when played fast, I kind of have to dig in further to get it. Otherwise I just play a down up chunk down, up up chunk down... It doesn't sound bad, but it isn't right haha.

post up a video.
it comes all in habbit afterwards.

the up strum after the chunk would be a force of habbit once u keep on doing it. i think it is with most types of strums. Feeling the music listening when the beat comes in slowly really helped me.
I had so much trouble strumming. my hand would go out of synch and it would just sound awful.
But as i said, practise and lsitening to the music slowly and where the beats land helps heaps!

cheerio

Dane
09-05-2008, 05:42 PM
The way I chunk consistently now is that I use my middle finger, and sometimes I hit the strings and the body with the finger so it's an extra loud chunk, which is good for a different chunk.

I've found that I do the upstrum fine now, but when I get chunking really fast, I found that I switch to upstrum with my middlefinger, is that a bad technique?

grappler
09-05-2008, 06:23 PM
i dont think thats a bad technquie as long as it does the job and your comfortable, then its sweet!
:rolleyes:

Dane
09-05-2008, 06:26 PM
It's good to have in my arsenal I suppose.

jinsk90
10-17-2008, 05:35 AM
Anyone have trouble muting all the strings with the palm when you chunk? I always seem to be missing a string, am I not applying enough force with my palm? Also, do you guys use the side of your thumb along with the palm to chunk? BTW, Grappler's video is great (along with Aldrine's video), dudes been really helpful.. THANKS buddy..