Where's the best place online to buy strings?

sbpark

Reaction score
I want to experiment with different strings and order a bunch. Was wondering where the best place is as far as price and selection is on the web to order from? Elderly seems to have a big selection, but their shipping in my opinion is way too much and it takes forever to get to you. Any other suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

I've found the best prices (including shipping) on eBay, but selection can be limited. Uke Republic's shipping is reasonable and the selection is good. And now that I've fallen for Martin M600s, I buy those on Amazon when I'm a few dollars short of the $25 needed to get free shipping if I'm ordering something else.

Check out Just Strings, I think it's juststrings.com

Second Elderly, fast service, fair price

Elderly & Uke Republic. If you get several packages, Elderly works out to be really cheap. But if you need something a bit harder to find (say, Orcas), then Uke Republic is the place to go. Plus Mike at Uke Republic is a cool guy and is very fair & helpful.

I use Just Strings.com, but they don't have all the brands of uke strings. For instance, they don't carry Worths. But I like them because they have single classical guitar strings I use on my tenor, plus uke strings and tiple strings.

http://www.juststrings.com/ukulele.html

Last edited:
I used to buy Worths from MGM on ebay.

Elderly seems to have a big selection, but their shipping in my opinion is way too much and it takes forever to get to you.
Their shipping on a single set is pretty high, but you can get free shipping on most orders over $49. I'll probably do a stock-up order on Worths at some point to get the free shipping.

You can email or call musicguymic, he is still in business. I just got a good deal on a sampler pack of various strings from him:
musicguymic@aol.com
808 927 7297

I have always bought from Elderly (fast and AWESOME service), or you can just go to Southcoast Ukes and be done with the search...such a fanboy of these strings

I've found the best prices (including shipping) on eBay, but selection can be limited. Uke Republic's shipping is reasonable and the selection is good. And now that I've fallen for Martin M600s, I buy those on Amazon when I'm a few dollars short of the $25 needed to get free shipping if I'm ordering something else.

Wow,....you like the Martin M600 set? I had a bad A string on my Moore Bettah soprano and needed a replacement quickly.
I tried them recently because it was the only soprano uke set i could find "locally". They sounded pretty good, but the slinky
and thin feel of the A string especially was a turn off to me.

Once i got a few sets of Aquila nylgut stings in i replaced them immededialy, and am much happier with the feel.
The thicker strings are also a bit easier on me already sore fingers. (i've been putting a lot of time in!)

BTW, i picked up multiple sets of both soprano and tenor nylgut strings (3 sets each at a slightly discounted price) at
Elderly Instruments. I was buying a tenor "Uke Crazy" case anyway and paying the shipping on that, so the strings
were an add on that didn't cost me anything extra to have shipped.

The basic Aquila string costs at Elderly are cheaper than a string speciality store like "Just Strings", btw, so i went there.

Last edited:
M600's are great.(I haven't tried the soprano set though.)
My mainland concert sounded much more clear compared to when I used aquila. To my ear anyway! It was like night and day. I've used Worth clears on my tenors and M600's on my concert since.

I'm not saying I dislike aquila, in my opinion they are fantastic on the cheaper instruments I've had and are great if you mostly strum.

Different strokes I suppose.

I buy all my strings, both uke and guitar from www.elderly.com . Good selection and reasonable prices. Been dealing with them for over 30 years with no issues.

I shop around. Ebay, HMS has Ko'olau sets at great price, got some Hilo's at Mele on sale, and some Martin Fluorocarbons on sale at Best Buy. I'm fickle.

I'm another of the Elderly fans. They are the only ones who ever have my favorite strings available (Worth CHLGHD).

Wow,....you like the Martin M600 set? I had a bad A string on my Moore Bettah soprano and needed a replacement quickly.
I tried them recently because it was the only soprano uke set i could find "locally". They sounded pretty good, but the slinky
and thin feel of the A string especially was a turn off to me.

I do like them, I mean really really like them! The thin-ness took some getting used to but now all other strings feel thick and clunky to me. Fremont Blackline hard tension strings are a close second.

I recently bought strings from Elderly, had some trouble with an A string (it shredded, oddly enough). I called them up and they said they would send me some new strings at no cost. New A string seems to be doing well...

Top Bottom