Worth String Question...Medium or Light Gauge?

sbpark

Reaction score
Recently acquired a used Koaloha concert and want to experiment with strings. have some Ko'Olau strings coming and wanted to order some Worth strings as well but not sure of the gauge; either lights or mediums. Any concerns about putting medium gauge strings on a concert uke given that they don't have truss rods? what's the standard usually? do most people use lights? with my other cheaper ukes i just always used Aquilas in the standard concert set and they didnt have any specific gauge. Sorry for the newb question!

I use Med on my KoAloha concert. Works fine.

I don't think a truss rod would even enter in to it with nylon or flourocarbon strings and either would be fine on a Koaloha. I use the light gauge on my vintage ukes since the soundboards are thin, old and usually a we bit bowed on them.

I've got the CMs on my soprano, and had them on my concert. I'd stay with those for a concert.

Very few brands of ukulele's are built with truss rods. I think any string produced for ukulele would be safe.

For a KoAloha concert scale I'd definitely use the mediums. I've had a concert and currently have a longneck soprano and on both of them the CMs intonate well - the lights will intonate a little differently and, in my experience, not as well on those particular ukes.

John

Top Bottom