Tour de France

ukulegreg

Reaction score
Any fans of the most important bike race ?

bp1.jpg

We watch it every now and then when it's live in the morning (eastern time US). I ride(for fun and exercise) but I can't imagine riding that far and with that many people so close to me. It is cool to see them riding through the old towns, villages, mountains, etc.

I think it's gotten a bit out of hand though. I'd have to seriously hurt somebody if they ran into me with their car when swerving to miss a tree. I saw that happen last week and it was stupid. There's too much going on. Just let them ride their bikes...

Followed it for 20+ years...can't wait for the next few days. Part of me hopes Voekler hangs on, but we all know that's not going to happen. It's been awhile since a Frenchman won. Anybody but Contador wins and I'll be happy.

~Michael

Part of me hopes Voekler hangs on, but we all know that's not going to happen. It's been awhile since a Frenchman won. Anybody but Contador wins and I'll be happy.

~Michael

Voeckler can only win with a miracle ( perhaps the snow ! The weather is awful since a few days).
In France , everyone say that Schleck's brothers have a wrong strategy ( no attack , no attack , no attack)

Big stages are for the next days

PROFIL.gif

PROFIL.gif

PROFIL.gif

I love to watch the mountains! They really get cooking on the way down, crazy speeds on those super skinny rock-hard tires.

I wish Phil would quit talking about Alberto Contador. I wish I understood how the race worked. I wish they'd quit calling it the pelaton, but at least this year I understand what that word means. We watch the race every year. I don't understand most of it. How does someone win it, for instance. But the scenery is outstanding.

I saw the press car run into the riders. Unbelievable how press people operate. Since then it seems as if the cars are not being quite so in their faces.

I'm hoping the British guy - Thomas somebody -- wins.

I'm an Australian who has been watching religiously for the last five years, love it. Pity it doesn't finish until two o'clock in the morning. It's starting to take it's toll. Yeah nervous and excited for the next few days about Cadel's chances. Good to see him get away last night. Voeckler showing signs of weakness last night, (if only a little bit), he's been riding like a man possessed. Would be a worthy winner with his determination.

Who are you backing?

My wife is watching it religiously and riding along on her stationary bike.
I'm loving her being in better shape, as it makes her happier.
The constant talking about Contador and the Shlecks and showing me the picture of that guy who got hit by the car all laid out in the field with his clothes ripped off and... heck, I didn't need to see THAT!, and all the nonsense about doping and whatever?
Not loving that so much! *grin*

I'm an Australian who has been watching religiously for the last five years, love it. Pity it doesn't finish until two o'clock in the morning. It's starting to take it's toll. Yeah nervous and excited for the next few days about Cadel's chances. Good to see him get away last night. Voeckler showing signs of weakness last night, (if only a little bit), he's been riding like a man possessed. Would be a worthy winner with his determination.

Who are you backing?

Can't get enough of it. Totally addicted and have been for years. I haven't missed a minute of this years yet. I love the scenery, the awesome commentary and the way they distill team and indivdual tactics. It's been shocking weather this year which has detracted for the gloriously filmed scenic shots a little, but nonetheless, a brilliant coverage we get here in OZ.

Sukie, there are a number of categories , each with it's own winner. But the main prize is the "General Classification" category (the yellow jersey) which is awarded to the rider who completes the tour in the shortest time overall. Other categories are the green jersey for highest scoring sprinter, the polkadot jersey for the 'King of the Mountains', the white jersey for best young rider.

There are all sorts of tactics but it would take me a page to lay em all out.

Voeckler did show some weakness last night but what a tour for him. Gotta love him. Can we dare to hope that Cadel could win? This is the best position he's ever been in, and finally, has a great team united behind him, unlike previous years where he's been hung out to dry. It's an Evans victory for me...the way he responded to Contador's attack last night was just awesome...and then took a few more seconds off him to rub it in. Very encouraging. Not sure where the Schleck's are but Andy doesn't appear he's going to be the threat we all thought. Frank still worries me a bit though...got the feeling he stuck it out with Andy last night to carry him home but things might change in the high Alps...we'll see

Yeah - I enjoy watching it and have for many, many years.

Sukie, there are a number of categories , each with it's own winner. But the main prize is the "General Classification" category (the yellow jersey) which is awarded to the rider who completes the tour in the shortest time overall. Other categories are the green jersey for highest scoring sprinter, the polkadot jersey for the 'King of the Mountains', the white jersey for best young rider.

I I don't understand most of it. How does someone win it, for instance.QUOTE]

Lowest overall time.

Thanks guys. That part I sorta get. What I don't get (and you needn't explain if you don't want to) is how someone gets a lower overall time. It's my understanding that if a rider is in the pelaton that rider gets the same time as all the other bikers. Weird, but that sorta makes sense. But I don't often see too many riders sneaking up ahead. Some do, but it seems the announcers are always talking about a strategy. It's ok I don't really "get" it though. The scenery is gorgeous. My husband has been out of town and I need to catch up when he gets back home.

Thanks guys. That part I sorta get. What I don't get (and you needn't explain if you don't want to) is how someone gets a lower overall time. It's my understanding that if a rider is in the pelaton that rider gets the same time as all the other bikers. Weird, but that sorta makes sense. But I don't often see too many riders sneaking up ahead. Some do, but it seems the announcers are always talking about a strategy. It's ok I don't really "get" it though. The scenery is gorgeous. My husband has been out of town and I need to catch up when he gets back home.

The peloton is the main group of riders. When there are a bunch of riders coming in at the same time they all get the same time for that day. If you finish with a group of riders in 4 hrs (you all get 4 hrs) and I am behind you on the road with another group of riders and we finish in 4 hrs 30 minutes (we all get 4 hrs 30 minutes) - you have a lowerall overall time then me. What they usually do not show on the TV is all of the other riders finishing behind the main group. Hope that helps.

For easier stages ( no difficult slope) often bikers finish in the same time in peloton. But it's important too to win a stage.
For hard stages, like these days, with hard slope, riders are going to accelerate in order to outdistance the others.
For tomorrow
PROFIL.gif

Can we dare to hope that Cadel could win? This is the best position he's ever been in, and finally, has a great team united behind him, unlike previous years where he's been hung out to dry. It's an Evans victory for me...

Oz must be bursting with pride!

Here's a Yank cyclist who couldn't be more pleased. Cadel is a talented guy and a hard worker. He rode a smart race and earned his win. As our French friends say, "Chapeau!"

Top Bottom