Would roadmaps be good for me?

rowjimmytour

Reaction score
I have been playing for about seven months now and have the simple chords down and some inversions and some bar chords. I also am able to play them by feel thanks to URBC and have learned some of the strumming patters (hawaii, thumb roll, finger picking). I can play some songs and most I can play the chords but haven't figured out the correct signature and strumming so this is something I would like to improve. Would roadmaps be a good book for me right now to help me progress or should I wait? Thanks in advance for all advise.
Peace

Roadmaps will teach you such things as playing in any key, using moveable/barre chords, improvising, the circle of fifths, and scales. If you have any interest in theory at all, I highly recommend it - but, it's not for everyone. If you have some music theory background you'll be able to work through it pretty well, but if you don't, you might find it a bit daunting.

Roadmaps will teach you such things as playing in any key, using moveable/barre chords, improvising, the circle of fifths, and scales. If you have any interest in theory at all, I highly recommend it - but, it's not for everyone. If you have some music theory background you'll be able to work through it pretty well, but if you don't, you might find it a bit daunting.

I forgot to mention the uke is really my first instrument after giving up drums, guitar, and bass as a kid for surfing...No music theory for me but would love to learn so I could play out side the lines and play the uke more like my favorite all time guitarist Mr. Jerome Garcia (or a least play some of his tunes).

I have the Fretboard Roadmap book and I like you have no music theory. For me the book was a challange and some sections still are but...I learned a lot from the book, can play (not real good yet) movable chords and am understanding better the fretboard and chords. In my own opinion, unless you are an advanced player, Fretboard Roadmaps will help you better understand the fretboard and moveable chords.
There is a group here at the UU for Fretboard Roadmaps. Check it out!!!

Last edited:
I have the Fretboard Roadmap book and I like you have no music theory. For me the book was a challange and some sections still are but...I learned a lot from the book, can play (not real good yet) movable chords and am understanding better the fretboard and chords. In my own opinion, unless you are an advanced player, Fretboard Roadmaps will help you better understand the fretboard and moveable chords.
There is a group here at the UU for Fretboard Roadmaps. Check it out!!!

Thanks :) This is what I was looking for and hope to be up for the challenge. Any one know the best place to buy roadmaps?

It's a mid-level book which requires some effort and a lot of practice. I'd suggest you go through the various YouTube and UU lesson videos first, to the point where you feel comfortable playing along with them, before tackling something more complicated. Practice is, of course, the key to mastery at any level. Keep strumming...

Top Bottom