Wood Sound Samplers anywhere? Looking into a new uke.

Dane

Reaction score
I'm not sure what they would be called exactly, I was searching the site for samplers. But I couldn't find anything.

I'm looking for somewhere that has something like where it plays the same size uke in a bunch of different brands and different woods so I could look into the new tenor uke that I want. I'd like to try out a koa but they are expensive and I'm still very inexperienced. I was thinking of mango or mahogany. I've read numerous threads about the woods but I was just hoping I could listen somewhere. I'm also looking for a wood with some nice appealing looks. I'm not a fan of say dark and light woods mixed together. Unless the wood is very nice. I absolutely love the look of mango on ukes, if that helps at all with the picture I'm trying to put in your mind. I'm up for something that sounds good that has say...back sides and top all white-sh. My oscar schmidt top is kinda yellowish and I don't really like it, it reminds me of chopped firewood almost... blegh.

Any help is appreciated. I'm looking for something in the 250-300 range.

Have a good one.

One of the problems with this is its not just the type of wood that makes a difference it strings, internal bracing, finish etc....

I was playin a Pono Soprano the other day the same model one was gloss the other satin it there was a HUGE difference in sound.

That's why I liked the video Dane linked to. The comparison was between two virtually identical ukuleles, built by the same person. The only difference was the wood. Very cool video!

Yeah I've been trying to find other like it. I hoped that the guy made more but sadly I couldn't find any. It's just difficult for us that don't have access to stores with good ukes. The only ukes I find are in guitar shops and they are all about 30 dollar ukes....

I'd love to play them all and pick one... but I can't.

. . .I'd like to try out a koa but they are expensive and I'm still very inexperienced. I was thinking of mango or mahogany. . .

. . .I'm also looking for a wood with some nice appealing looks. I'm not a fan of say dark and light woods mixed together. Unless the wood is very nice. I absolutely love the look of mango on ukes, . . .

. . . I'm up for something that sounds good that has say...back sides and top all white-sh. My oscar schmidt top is kinda yellowish and I don't really like it, it reminds me of chopped firewood almost... blegh.

Any help is appreciated. I'm looking for something in the 250-300 range.

Who said Koa is expensive? Koa, Maple, Myrtle, Mango, Mahogany, Milo, etc - doesn't matter to me - the wood is not the cost (though many market it as such).

Its obvious that looks are very important to you. Since you already know that you won't like a combination of say, Koa/Spruce, you've limited yourself to the type of sound you'll get.

As for whitish - lets take all Maple. The only guy I've seen pull that off is Rick Turner, and he's nowhere near bottom end `ukulele in the sub $300 range. Now, Maple/Spruce, there you go. But this would contradict your dislike for dark/light, irregardless of sound (sort of).

As for your Oscar Schmidt, its probably not the looks that qualifies it for chopped firewood.

Where am I going with this? You're asking questions in a manner that leads to contradictory answers. Most builders will recommend specific wood combinations to gear toward the sound the client is looking for. Sometimes, eye candy can take precedence: I'll take Quilted Maple over Curly Maple for effect, but the curly (in general) smokes it soundwise. You allude to wanting to hear sound samples, but the strong message in your question is what the instrument looks like.

In the price range you're looking at, you probably won't find enough of a quality sound difference from different woods. Spend $1K, here is where you can start to get specific about expectations of sound and tone coming off your instrument, with regards to tonewoods.

Bottom line, I wouldn't lose sleep over sound samples (for you, right now) - just get what looks good to make you happy.

just my (more than) $.02

Thanks! Well I'd like to try solid woods to start to get a better knowledge basis.

I've narrowed it down to 2 now, one being the Ohana Solid Mahogany Tenor
http://cgi.ebay.com/Ohana-TENOR-sol...4371454QQihZ014QQcategoryZ16224QQcmdZViewItem

And one that someone just showed me today, the KPK Solid AcaciaTenor
http://cgi.ebay.com/KOA-PILI-KOKO-S...3043276QQihZ014QQcategoryZ16224QQcmdZViewItem

I'm leaning toward the Ohana, because the KPK has a rosewood nut and saddle, which doesn't sound like the greatest idea to me. Yes it can be replaced, but then I'd be pitching in more money on this.

They're both beautiful to look at. And both have pretty good reviews.

The Ohana is going $260 + about $20 shipping.

And the KPK is $300 free shipping. + whatever I'd have to pay in the future to fixup the nut and saddle. [I just noticed it looks as though MGM doesn't do his 4 point setup for the KPK, interesting]

I'm also not really diggin that head on the KPK, but In these two's case, sound does take priority. I know I'm not spending alot, but I want to get the uke that I will like most for my money.

yeah just go onto youtube and type in like "mahogany ukulele" or "koa ukulele" and so on so you can hear all the different types lol. thats what i did.

Mango sounds?

I was going to start a new thread but figured i'd piggy back this thread. I am starting to see mango ukes. What type of sound does mango have? I got two mahaghany and a koa top mahaghany back and sides (which I love the blend in the two woods). I am seriously thinking about getting a mango but not sure how it will sound. I have heard that mango is prone to insect infestions. Anyone know about that?

But I heard that Mango is like an inbetween of mahogany and koa

One of the things about internet forums is nobody knows anybody, and everyone's an expert.

Here's the really dangerous part - someone says Brand X strings are the best. Someone else tries, and gets good results, posts a thank you for the reference, next thing you know, all the guys who are playing Brand D, H, K or S stay quiet so as not to offend those that are skyrocketing the use of the first brand. Perpetual motion takes effect, and there you have it, tunnel vision on strings.

Here's the tail before the dog: What does Mahogany sound like, what does Koa sound like, what do the two compared sound like, and what would inbetween the two mean?

Currently, your selection of Mango `ukulele in your price range should be somewhat limited. Get out of the bottom end for some mid-range instruments, and you may get more of a selection. Spend double that, and you won't see many Mango, simply because most customs in that range use woods that will generate sound for the client. Not saying that Mango doesn't sound good, just saying that people won't pay premium prices for wood that grows in everyones back yard.

Of course, I could eat my own words, and I could be the so called non-expert, talk a good talk, and know absolutely nothing about everything, and have every experience with nothing.

-Aaron

I'll post up as a instant expert cuz I've been playin now for 3 months instead of 12 weeks.... and I have no idea of what I am typing about other than what I like!!!

As far as the Kala's go I am getting ready to drop the money for a Mango/Mango Concert I have a Mahogany Soprano and Tenor (KA-S,T) and the Spruce/Maple Tenor and I like the sound of them all or I wouldn't have gotten them.

I did play a few different Pono's again today and for the $$$$ difference the sound difference isn't worth it to me.
I also played a Gold Tone Soprano $250.00 and thought my 69.00 Kala sounded better.

But I am still drooling over those Koaloha's!!!

I dunno how close you are to Huntington Beach, but you can check out Island Bazaar @ 16582 Gothard Street. From what I understand, they have a great selection of ukes there. You might be able to solve your dilemma.

Ooh that's just about 2 hours away. It will probably be a while before my next uke but I will definately look into it! Are you from around there?

Top Bottom