San Diego ukulele festival

soarcj

Reaction score
The festival was really great. It had the best performers, venders, and workshops. I really enjoyed it, but I am easy. Next year they need to work on the following: 1. cut the cost by half. The ukulele population is there, look at the free crowd on Sat. Don't give so much away for free, and don't charge as much for what you charged for. 2. The site is right under the takeoff route for the jets at San Diego airport. At least every 10 minutes or every other tune a jet thundered overhead. The site just does not work. 3. During the Sat. James Hill concert a local restruant had a very loud rock band playing opposite the ukulele festival performance. It is the festival's first year, and they can work these problems out.

Thanks for the report. Any photos or videos to post? I was tempted to go, but I couldn't work out traveling this past weekend. Your suggestions sound good. (So what stuff was being given away?) The only thing I'd add is to pick a weekend other than the same weekend as the Roy Sakuma Ukulele Festival in Waikiki, which was this past Sunday.

The only thing I'd add is to pick a weekend other than the same weekend as the Roy Sakuma Ukulele Festival in Waikiki, which was this past Sunday.

It was also the same weekend as a major Hawaiian festival here in Southern California, as well as the same weekend as the much-hyped "Carmageddon" 405 freeway closure, so, unfortunate timing on both counts.

The park was lovely, and the weather beautiful, although chilly in the evening. The occasional plane taking off overhead was pretty dramatic. Nice to see so many UU folks there too. You can see James Hill being interviewed for TV in the Flag photo. There were free performances to watch on the stage all day long. We had set up our booth to the far right of the stage, but moved to the back row near the flag pole when the fumes from the generator became too persistent.

–Lori

Attachments

• sandiego_ukefest.jpg
    sandiego_ukefest.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 11
  • evening_stage_sduf.jpg
    evening_stage_sduf.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 12
  • lori_sdbooth.jpg
    lori_sdbooth.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 11
  • james_hill_sduf.jpg