Hive Ukuleles - Ziricote, Adirondack Spruce

maclay

Reaction score
Here are a few pictures of a beautiful Ziricote uke that I'm working on. This ukulele will be displayed at the Healdsburg Guitar Festival in August.

Attachments

• IMG_1865.jpg
    IMG_1865.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_2642.jpg
    IMG_2642.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_2649.jpg
    IMG_2649.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_2644.jpg
    IMG_2644.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_2653.jpg
    IMG_2653.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 184
That wood looks stunning. Love the shape of that uke, unique. Sweet.

I like the inside..Im not very informed on ukulele construction..Is that your own special concoction of uke building?..it looks really cool!

That is a nice looking instrument.

The laminated head and tail blocks intrigue me.... Why???

Take care,
Thomas

Thanks thomas. I use baltic birch plywood for stability and strength, epecially in the tail block. Plywood tailblock is stronger if the uke is dropped on the end pin or has a pickup. The laminates prevent the blocks from splitting if it receives a blow.

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. The light and dark layers made me think it was ziricote and spruce laminated, which seemed like a lot of work for blocks. But Baltic ply makes sense. Again, nice instrument, lots of inspiring aspects, like the waist moved towards the head, and 2 back braces.... I'd love to see how the top is braced.

Take care,
Thomas

Very nice Jake. And nice fit in the mold. The zircote shows off the purfling (maple?) well. I've also started using birch ply for blocks as well for the same reasons you pointed out.
Have fun at the Healdsburg show. I keep threatening to go. A couple of guys from Big Island will be there. It's my old stomping grounds.

Here are a few pictures of a beautiful Ziricote uke that I'm working on. This ukulele will be displayed at the Healdsburg Guitar Festival in August.

Great bookmatch on the back. I am not a big fan of Ziricote or Bacote but this is really pretty. I also really like the asymmetrical rosette.

Hey Rockabilly. I learned most of what I know about ukulele building from Master Rick Turner. I have worked closely with him for the last 6 years.....he is a wealth of knowledge.

Very nice Jake. And nice fit in the mold. The zircote shows off the purfling (maple?) well. I've also started using birch ply for blocks as well for the same reasons you pointed out.
Have fun at the Healdsburg show. I keep threatening to go. A couple of guys from Big Island will be there. It's my old stomping grounds.

Thanks Chuck. The purfling is a black/maple/black. As for Healdsburg, I'll let you know how it goes.

How are you going to finish this one, Jake? It's screaming for a high gloss...

Thanks thomas. I use baltic birch plywood for stability and strength, epecially in the tail block. Plywood tailblock is stronger if the uke is dropped on the end pin or has a pickup. The laminates prevent the blocks from splitting if it receives a blow.

Dear Jake,
it is very inspiring looking at your uke.
Thank you for sharing. I like the shape.

By the way, about the plywood you used, did you make it yourself or buy it somewhere?
Thanks
JC

By the way, about the plywood you used, did you make it yourself or buy it somewhere?
ThanksJC

Birch ply is extensively used in cabinet making. It's more expensive than construction grade. Dive any cabinet shop dumpster and you should find all the scrap you need. If that's too rugged for you I believe all of the big home improvement shops carry quarter sheets. Of buy a full sheet to have on hand anyway. It's what a lot of us use for all of our jigs, fixture and mold making.

Looks awesome Jake. Love that Ziricote!

Top Bottom