Deciding between 5 Ukes.

Uk3player78

Reaction score
Ok so i got my first ukulele, one Lanikai LU-21 Concert, just to see if i would like the instrument and want to take it up after guitar from age 16 to now 32. I'm hooked!

I will keep the Lanikai (unless i go for Uke 5) as a take everywhere Uke.

So, the options.

1- The Kala KA-SMHC concert all solid mahogany. First choice based on price and reviews.

2- The Kala KA-ASACC concert all solid Acacia, reason same as above.

3- The Pono Deluxe mahogany concert. Again based on reviews and videos.

4- The Pono MHC pro classic mahogany. A step up in finish from above + ebony fingerboard etc. This one starts to stretch the budget but is possible.

5- The Kanile'a K1. For this one due to the stretch i would have to wait till the middle/end of next month and possibly have to sell the Lanikai. I think at my stage of playing this may be a bit much and i maybe need to know what i like from a uke before splashing this amount out. Kind of like i did with the guitar, a progressive move up in quality.

I can't get to try them as the shop is a 1200 mile round trip :p.

Thanks in advance.

I have a Kala solid mahogany concert and a Kala solid acacia tenor, and I think they're both really nice instruments -- very comfortable to play, good volume. My mahogany concert is a little "plinkier" than my acacia tenor, but that could be because of the difference in scale. One of my co-workers has Kala solid acacia concert. It's a beautiful instrument, and she totally loves it.

I have a Pono mahogany baritone that has a nice, somewhat more percussive sound to it. (Again, it could be the scale, but I think Ponos are a little more percussive anyway.) Pono ukuleles are made by Ko'olau, and they're very well built. I think the neck on my Pono is a bit thicker than the necks on my other ukuleles. I'm not sure what the difference is between the regular and deluxe mahogany Ponos, but if it's just bling and you end up picking Pono, you might consider a regular instead of a deluxe.

I played a Kanile'a tenor once. It's definitely a step up from your other options, being hand-built in Hawai'i instead of being factory made in Southeast Asia. The Kanile'a I played sounded really nice (better than my Kalas) but the neck was a little too thick for my liking. I believe nobody should say that an ukulele is too good for his or her level of playing (yeah, Jake Shimabukuro can make a Makala dolphin sing, but a good uke makes you want to play more and I think it helps you play better). However, you may be onto somthing with wanting to try many different brands of ukulele before splurging on your ultimate uke. I have a Kamaka now, but it took me almost a year of playing a lot of different ukes before I decided that the Kamaka I bought was the ukulele I wanted.

One thing you migth try is to search for sound samples of each of the ukuleles you're considering on sites like YouTube. Hawaii Music Supply should have Pono sound samples, since it has a relationship with Ko'olau and sells lots of Ponos.

I hope that helps. Let us know what you decide!

Last edited:
Thanks for your detailed response. I should add i had a bit of intonation trouble with my Lanikai. I fixed it myself. How are the Kala's for intonation? Probably a silly question.

I would recommend just enjoying the Lanikai concert for a little while, until you decide on something you REALLY want. A lot of people with UAS also get bad buyer's remorse :p

Curious why you just picked these ukes...it that what is only available there?? buy with your ears telling you what to get...not us...

The Kanile,a is great. I bought one and it is fantastic. Save up a bit longer and get it, you wont be sorry.
Phil

I'm very happy with my Pono PTO mahogany tenor. I think the Kanile'a would have a mellower sound with less punch than the Pono. I use the Pono in a 7-piece folk band (where I mainly play rhythm guitar) and it cuts through nicely.

I have played and own Kalas and Ponos, and like both. Of the two, the Ponos are somewhat more expensive, which may be justified in some models and woods, but not all (mahogany is iffy).

I love my Pono mahogany baritone and my Kala cedar tenor, so for me it would come down to which one felt and sounded best. All have good action and intonation. I would (and likely will) buy more of them in future, albeit in other woods.

The Pono necks are slightly wider, I believe, at least on longer scales.

Pono uses passive pickups, Kala active. The advantage of passive is never needing to replace a battery. But they have no volume/tone control on the instrument like the active pickups.

Kanile'a I don't know except by reputation.

Meanwhile, if I were you, I'd take a serious gander at a Mainland red cedar. You won't be disappointed with a Mainland.

Ian
PS. Sorry... can't resist... fingers moving outside my control... the ugly editor demon rises within me... and says... it's decide among five, not between five. Argh. There. I've pushed him down inside me again. Hard to keep him under control. Whew... :p

No clunkers in the bunch. I recently got a used Pono MCD-E with Ko'olau case for $285
I also love that Kala cutaway mahogany (sucker for the tortoid binding). Go with your heart!

If you're serious about the instrument then get the best you can afford rather than buy an intermediate level uke. But there were many wise folks who said "try before you buy" which really is the best advice. Yes I know you said that you can't get to the shop but you might ask the shop if you could have a 48 hr refusal period (any good instrument shop will understand this) on a mail order purchase, because you don't want to drop the $$$ on an expensive uke and then find it doesn't fit your hand. good playing, g2

Personally, I'd go with the Pono Deluxe. But I really like the wider necks.

If your choice is limited to only those 5 ukes...I would go with the Kanile'a uke. I've got one and it is worth every penny!!!

I'm not limited to these 5 but coming from the guitar world i know how confusing it can be to get more and more recommendations. Try before you buy is always the best option. Shame about the distance i am from the shop.

Here is where i'm shopping. http://www.southernukulelestore.co.uk/ Apart from the Pono Deluxe which is Duke of Uke London.

Those are all solid choices - I haven't exactly owned all of those, but I've owned more than one representative uke from each company you mention.

Given the choices and my own experience, the Kanile'a would be my choice. I don't know that you'd get enough in selling your Lanikai to make a huge difference. My druthers would be to save a little longer and keep the Lanikai. I currently have two ukes - an inexpensive soprano that I don't mind taking everywhere and a custom (well...it's in progress) that I will be a little more careful with. That was also the case when I owned the Kanile'as (sold to finance my custom).

We endorse Ponos so there's a bit of a bias here. However, I must say that there are remarkable instruments for the price point.

Keep in mind a very important factor: Pono uses lower profile fretwire than other manufacturers. Some players aren't fond of this because you have to exert slightly more pressure when playing barre chords, for instance. However, I find that the lower profile frets allow for a more even distribution of downward pressure resulting in more accurate fretting. At least, this is my experience.

As they say, your mileage will vary. Good luck with your search...

Ok so i got my first ukulele, one Lanikai LU-21 Concert, just to see if i would like the instrument and want to take it up after guitar from age 16 to now 32. I'm hooked!

I will keep the Lanikai (unless i go for Uke 5) as a take everywhere Uke.

So, the options.

1- The Kala KA-SMHC concert all solid mahogany. First choice based on price and reviews.

2- The Kala KA-ASACC concert all solid Acacia, reason same as above.

3- The Pono Deluxe mahogany concert. Again based on reviews and videos.

4- The Pono MHC pro classic mahogany. A step up in finish from above + ebony fingerboard etc. This one starts to stretch the budget but is possible.

5- The Kanile'a K1. For this one due to the stretch i would have to wait till the middle/end of next month and possibly have to sell the Lanikai. I think at my stage of playing this may be a bit much and i maybe need to know what i like from a uke before splashing this amount out. Kind of like i did with the guitar, a progressive move up in quality.

I can't get to try them as the shop is a 1200 mile round trip :p.

Thanks in advance.

For the money, the Pono over the Kala. But as a fellow guitar player, if you can afford the Kanilea that's the way to go: more guitar like sounding, at least to me. Kanilea is like the Taylor Guitars of ukulele's: newer company, lots of tone, UV coating, bridge pins, etc). A better uke means you'll like it more (sound, quality, playability, and did I mention sound) and you'll play it more because you like it.

Check out the following:

KALA/KANILEA:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uFwPH2eRLU

(Listen to the difference in tone & how much more you hear from the Kanilea: just switch back & forth a few times and you'll really notice it. To me, the Kala sounds like banjo. Listen to the warmth & bass of the Kanilea, along with highs that you don't even hear from the Kala).

PONO:

http://vimeo.com/16917463

http://vimeo.com/16934848

http://vimeo.com/17143582

(not bad, but listen to the Kanilea below)

KANILEA:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdkhTR5LpgI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFcmoEll-GU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4iqochGlIc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qp9tihR3sM&NR=1

ALDRINE ON HIS KANILAEA:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zrfm6KGSOoM

(This is the 2nd time I posted Breezin', you might get the idea that I like the performace and the sound of the Kanilea - Yeah)

Last edited:
Kala to Kanile'a is quite a range! Seems as if you aren't super restricted by price at all. Why not consider others as well then? Keli'i, Mainland, KoAloha, aNueNue, Lanikai, Big Island, Mele, and Kamaka all fall within your high and low.

I guess I wonder what was it about the Kalas that impressed you so much that you have two of those on the list, but not other names.

I have a Kala Acacia Concert. It's a good early ukulele. Intonation is ok. Not great, and I got mine from MGM.

What I would say is that the more expensive instrument will have a greater range of expression. And it will play well all over the fretboard.

Once I got my custom, I was much happier playing up the fretboard. So, I am now playing the WHOLE ukulele much more.

I love the tone of my Kala. It's a bit woofy, but it's very ukulele-ish. My problems with it are more technical than tonal.

From what I've heard, Ponos are a real step up. I think I'd skip the Kala stage if you can. If you're the type to get a good instrument in future, get a good one now. You probably have the ears to know the difference.

If you can afford a Kanilea than price obviously isn't what you're basing your choices on. In that case, and if you are sure that the concert size is what you are going to be happy with, then go for the top end and get a Kanilea, KoAloha, or Kamaka. In a concert I favor the KoAloha.

The Pono and Kala solid wood ukes are decent, but may need a setup so make sure you buy from someone who does that.

In about the same price range as the Pono and Kala I'll second an earlier recommendation for a Mainland - and it will come set up nicely.

John

It's not really a question... the Kanilea.

In my experience - Kala's are fair at best, Pono's are inconsistant to the point of unreliable, and Kanilea's generally blow them both out of the water. That screaming sound you hear is a stack of Kala and Pono owners about to tar and feather me, but based on what I've owned, been burned by, and played - the K1 is the only one on the list.

If the K1 isn't really an option I'd say Mainland - or even Ohana before the other two.

Top Bottom