Ukulele building school UK

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
A project I am working on is to set up a ukulele building school here in Wales UK. This is going to cost a lot of money and here is your opportunity to help me:

I have decided on a limited edition build to provide seed capital for the school and this should appeal particularly to all those in Britain who want to see this school a success. However, if you are thinking of taking a vacation in the UK why not sign up for a course... Here are the details of the build:

• 8 La Foley style reproductions with classic bar frets
  • 8 Martin style 0 reproductions in Cuban Mahogany with rosewood friction tuners
  • 8 Kumalae reproductions in wicked koa built in exactly the same way as the ford video shows

These will all be one price - $850 including DVD of the build, delivery and canvas bag. If you buy 1 you will get a 10% discount voucher for a place on one of the courses. If you buy a set of 3 (cost $2300) you will get a 25% discount voucher for either course at the school.

There will be 2 building courses offered initially at the school. These will be limited to 4 students per course and will be the same price: $850. There will be one of each course held per month.
  • 'Skillbuild' is a 5 1/2 day skills based course that will allow you to build any style of ukulele from scratch. Indegineous woods are provided free - koa and mahogany add $60
  • 'Extremebuild' is a 12 hour build from start to finish using one of my kits. Both courses provide you with a completely built and set up ukulele that you finish at home using our finishing DVD which shows oil and spray can lacquer finishing techniques.

I am also looking at:
  • Setting up your ukulele course as a half day option.
  • Re -finishing/simple repairs also a half day course
For these last two course you bring your own ukulele and work on them under my guidance. They will cost £$170 and include lunch. On both these course you make tools to take away with you for your own kits....

This is a real opportunity to build your own high quality ukulele and will help provide the foundation for the only school of its kind in Europe dedicated to this instrument. I already have the first course filled and premises have been found. The uphill struggle of raising funds now starts.

Thanks for reading this post.

Sounds good.

Quick question, since you mention your ukulele kits. I have heard a lot of people talk about them, but couldn't find any info on your website. Could you tell us a bit more about these kits? Can they be ordered always, or do you make a batch every now and then when you have the wood in stock?

Hey Pete, I've sent you an email about the course. :)

There should be kit information on the site here. There is also information here where there are lots of videos on building, at least 5 are related to the kits.

I see now that I got stuck on your blog and never found the main website... that is your blog, right? ukukes... (ah yes, pic of the same kid!)

More pics to enjoy... got to say I like the shape and coolness of those undecorated pieces. When I get back to Europe, there will be a walking trip to Wales with some *cough* sanitary stops.

Thanks folks - hey Futch where did you post your message? It's not in any of my accounts....

I sent it to the email address under "Contact" on your Blogspot page, guess that email is inactive.

I will send you a PM here about it instead.

Top Bottom