wanted: ukulele method with no tab, only standard notation

infidel

Reaction score
Hi UU,

I'm looking for any ukulele method/instruction book that DOES NOT use tab, only standard notation. The only series that I am aware of is James Hill's ukulele in the classroom series.

I'm teaching a young student whose parents want him to read standard notation.

I can prepare materials for him myself, but also wanted to know what else is out there.

I've found recorder books useful in reading simple melodies as music for the recorder is written in the same range as the uke.

Thanks,

Jay

Jim Beloff's books have melodies in standard notation, with chords names/diagrams for harmony.

Also, there's a wealth of older, out-of-print ukulele method books available without tabs. My favorite is May Singhi Breen's New Ukulele Method.

Jim Beloff's books have melodies in standard notation, with chords names/diagrams for harmony.

Yeah, Jim Beloff's Ukulele Tips 'n' Tunes sounds like what you're after. It's a method, but he uses actual songs written in standard notation as the starting point for his lessons. It starts very basic - "He's Got The Whole World In His Hands" is just two chords and as it's written in C, no accidentals to deal with in the notation - but it gets gradually more complex. Some of the songs have suggestions for more complicated chord changes that the student can come back to later, so it also gives a little bit of a sense of how a song can be altered or arranged differently. It's good stuff.

You can always get a simple piano book too. That's what I use.

learning to read standard notation

Hi,

I taught myself to read standard notation using Curt Schellar's book for ukulele. Just Google Curt Schellar ukulele and you'll find it. Since then I've really enjoyed using jazz fakebooks. It's made a wealth of difference.

Top Bottom