Baritone vs. Concert Ukuleles

lingo

Reaction score
I have a concert ukelele but was considering picking up a baritone because the neck seems a little longer and maybe easier to play. Any thoughts? What kind does Aldrine play?

A baritone is tuned completely different than a concert (it's tuned the same as 4 strings on the guitar)...and they are huggge compared to a concert. I think you are looking for a Tenor uke...that's what Aldrine and all the major ukers play! Tenors are tuned the same as the sopranos and concerts.

Ukuleles come in different sizes depending primarily on the scale length which is the distance from the nut to the saddle. Ukulele sizes and scale lengths are:

Soprano - 13"
Concert - 15"
Tenor - 17"
Baritone - 19"

The scale lengths will vary from instrument to instrument based on the brand or builder. That is, a soprano ukulele might have a scale length of 13-5/8". The above scale lengths are approximate.

Yes, a baritone will have a longer neck than a concert because of the scale length. The body will also be comparatively larger too.

I don't know the brand or builder of the ukulele Aldrine plays. However, I believe it is a tenor.

I hope this helps you out and welcome to UU.

A baritone is tuned completely different than a concert (it's tuned the same as 4 strings on the guitar)...and they are huggge compared to a concert. I think you are looking for a Tenor uke...that's what Aldrine and all the major ukers play! Tenors are tuned the same as the sopranos and concerts.

The baritone is actually one of the most versatile instruments around. Besides "traditional" tuning (DGBE) the baritone cane be tuned in a variety of ways included gCEA (re-entrant tuning) GCEA (low G tuning) FBbDG (jazz tuning)and with custom strings like the Guadalupe set, an octave below GCEA. It does have a longer neck, and typically a wider fretboard but for players with larger hands, it a really comfortable to play. I only play Pono baritones when we perform.

My experience is that I use the baritone mainly when I want to hear a low end uke sound, especially for recording. Very sweet and easy to play. But you might be happier with the tenor for all around uke playing.

Some great longneck concerts out there too if you like the concert sound but want a longer neck. That Mainland long neck concert pineapple is awesome for the money.

I know you are comparing concerts to baritones, but here's a Youtube clip of Kimo Hussey comparing the same song on a tenor and a baritone. It might help give you a little perspective.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Dzkycm8BbQ

The baritone is actually one of the most versatile instruments around. Besides "traditional" tuning (DGBE) the baritone cane be tuned in a variety of ways included gCEA (re-entrant tuning) GCEA (low G tuning) FBbDG (jazz tuning)and with custom strings like the Guadalupe set, an octave below GCEA. It does have a longer neck, and typically a wider fretboard but for players with larger hands, it a really comfortable to play. I only play Pono baritones when we perform.
Totally agree! Baritones are some of the most versatile ukes

Another vote for considering a tenor. :)

Many people say a bari is too much like a guitar. A tenor is still very much an uke.

And if you try a tenor and still want a bari, well, nothing ventured, nothing gained. You can always sell the tenor and buy a bari, though I think you'll probably really like the tenor. :p

I know you are comparing concerts to baritones, but here's a Youtube clip of Kimo Hussey comparing the same song on a tenor and a baritone. It might help give you a little perspective.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Dzkycm8BbQ

Wow! What great sounding ukuleles, especially the baritone!

I see that you have doubled up a couple of the strings. Are they tuned in octaves (linear and re-entrant)?

Has to be the best sounding baritone...

... of course the playing ability does bring out the best in the instrument.

John

Bari is a bigger, but ignore all the stuff about it being too much like a guitar- not even close (in size or tone). Tuned the GCea it is all Ukulele and they are sweet sounding- great sustain and lots of room. I love mine

Wow! What great sounding ukuleles, especially the baritone!

I see that you have doubled up a couple of the strings. Are they tuned in octaves (linear and re-entrant)?

Has to be the best sounding baritone...

... of course the playing ability does bring out the best in the instrument.

John

Thanks John, we doubled the D and G strings with octaves. It was Kimo's idea and it works really well, a muck better layout than the traditional 6 string uke.
... and his beautiful playing doesn't hurt either.

Top Bottom