Just a goal of mine on the uke .

And no reason why you can't achieve that goal. I like to play a little bluegrass on my uke....looking at banjo ukes right now. If I was a bigger bluegrass fan, would have to have one of those Bluegrass maple concerts or tenors.

http://www.bluegrassukes.com/products/Curly-Maple-Tenor-Ukulele-"Flying-Owl".html

A Kanilea 6 string concert is also on my list....I think that would be a hell of a bluegrass uke.

Last edited:
A goal of my mine is to get better at playing bluegrass on the uke and getting people to see the uke as a bluegrass instrument.

Cool!
Any songs you'd advise others to play?
I just started playing the uke and found Wagon Wheel (Old Crow Medicine Show), cigarettes and whiskey, and Red Clay Halo and Caleb Mayer by Gillian Welch doable.

I just broke out a book today thatI had bought a few months ago: "bluegrass ukulele" by Fred Sokolow. Has a cd too so you can hear what you are trying to play. How are you learning?

Cool goal go for it.
I love bluegrass but have not got any on my uke yet. So thanks for inspiring me to try something new.

I just broke out a book today thatI had bought a few months ago: "bluegrass ukulele" by Fred Sokolow. Has a cd too so you can hear what you are trying to play. How are you learning?

I have that book its a good book i wish it had more song in it .

There's a local bluegrass get-together (that I haven't joined since it gets in the way of me fishing :)) A group of four of the members of that jam group go to coffee shops and other small eateries, and one of them brings a tenor uke with him. It's a different sound, but he's go the bluegrass sound down. He has a low, wound top string so he can hit the bass notes when he's strumming along. It's the first, and only time I've ever seen a uke used in bluegrass music. I haven't seen him play the uke in a while though.

Dan

I agree with everyone else, make that goal a reality! :D Good Luck :D

Top Bottom