Getting vintage Martin without tuners - recommendations?

rasputinsghost

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm getting a Martin soprano at a bargain price, unfortunately it has no tuners. What would you guys recommend as good tuners to replace it with? I don't care about getting vintage tuners, I've got my eye on some PegHeds.

Thanks!

I would probably get tuners that don't harm the original instrument. That is, unless you don't really care about altering a vintage instrument.

I don't care about altering a vintage instrument, really, as long as it doesn't harm it *physically*. I don't care about getting period-correct tuners and the like.

pegheads if you dont have to modify the holes that the old tuners came in to much! i LOVE my pegheadss

I've heard different things. I've heard that you don't have to ream out the headstock to adapt for pegheds and that you do. I've played instruments with them and they look great, are light and easy to use. Some people use Ping tuners, but I have a set and the bushings are too wide. If you don't care about modifying the headstock if necessary, I say you should go with the Pegheds. What style Martin is it? I have a few; they're great sopranos, and a nice addition to your collection.

It's a style 1 from the 30s, with black binding. And its original tuners are long gone. I'm getting with its original canvas gigbag, though!

Last edited:
\Some people use Ping tuners, but I have a set and the bushings are too wide.

The bushings or the shaft? I don't use the bushings that come with the Pings because of that but rather use a flat washer.

About the Martin, do you know if the holes are tapered for wood pegs? If so, I heard that Mike DaSilva was reproducing Martin wood pegs but I haven't heard that directly from Mike. I do like Ping tuners, mine work so smoothly, better than some much more expensive friction tuners I have.

Top Bottom