Flat & non-flat body

khairijamian

Reaction score
The regular Bruekos height is about 5,5 cm (2,17 inch) , the flat Brueko is 3 cm (1,18 inch). There is no difference in quality and -to my ear- no real difference in sound. Both have the distinctive Brueko sound which is a bright and percussive one. The flat one is probably slightly more percussive. Both are examples of diligent craftmanship and are built to last. If you like a modern uke that sounds "old-timey", you´ll be happy with either of them. If I had to choose, I would prefer the flat No. 6, because they are special, fit for travels and pack a surprising lot of punch for their size.

The regular Bruekos height is about 5,5 cm (2,17 inch) , the flat Brueko is 3 cm (1,18 inch). There is no difference in quality and -to my ear- no real difference in sound. Both have the distinctive Brueko sound which is a bright and percussive one. The flat one is probably slightly more percussive. Both are examples of diligent craftmanship and are built to last. If you like a modern uke that sounds "old-timey", you´ll be happy with either of them. If I had to choose, I would prefer the flat No. 6, because they are special, fit for travels and pack a surprising lot of punch for their size.

Take a look at these;
Bruko S002F
http://www.brueko.de/shop/product_i....html&XTCsid=7dbedcaedf8712c50d2e14b4544fcf4e

S002F has all maple, from body to neck to head, so what do you think? Looks pretty and pure, too. While the No. 6 has two tone color, mahogany body, maple neck, 3 veneer maple-mahogany neckplate. Which will sound better as solid top wood? The maple woods or the mahogany? Price also similar, both is €119. I am currently using a solid mahogany top soprano with laminated mahogany back & sides (Ohana SK-20S), and yeah, it's a soprano, so would it be a great upgrade if i buy another soprano, either the No. 6 mahogany or the No. 2 maple?

The all maple Brueko is a different animal. I have one in my office for the quick strum. Very Bright and LOUD, but not very subtle. Especially if you string it with aquilas the brightness could be a bit overdriven. Perfect as a sidearm for loud ukulele festivals, but not really suited for a gentle strum on the porch. IMHO the No. 6 is more versatile because it can produce very distinctive sounds either being strummed or picked.

I´m not sure about the "great upgrade" though. The Ohana is an all-okay entry-level uke with a streamlined, mass-appealing sound. Okay, but not really special. The Bruekos have a unique percussive sound that you will like a lot...or not. So I wouldn´t consider it an "upgrade" but more as a "change".

The all maple Brueko is a different animal. I have one in my office for the quick strum. Very Bright and LOUD, but not very subtle. Especially if you string it with aquilas the brightness could be a bit overdriven. Perfect as a sidearm for loud ukulele festivals, but not really suited for a gentle strum on the porch. IMHO the No. 6 is more versatile because it can produce very distinctive sounds either being strummed or picked.

I´m not sure about the "great upgrade" though. The Ohana is an all-okay entry-level uke with a streamlined, mass-appealing sound. Okay, but not really special. The Bruekos have a unique percussive sound that you will like a lot...or not. So I wouldn´t consider it an "upgrade" but more as a "change".

Which one do you prefer, personally? The maple No. 2 or mahogany No. 6? And if possible, could you please tell me what's the differences between those woods; sound projection, etc. Which wood are better? Also as you said "The Bruekos have a unique percussive sound that you will like a lot...or not.", what do you mean by that 'or not'? I really wanna have my own solid wood uke, a real ukulele to be played and never get bored of. Thanks! :)

I prefer the No. 6 because it is more versatile. It can sing gently or bark loud, depending how hard you strum/pick it. The all-maple Brueko is more kind of a one-trick pony: It yells and that´s it. With "like it a lot...or not" I meant, that the percussive sound is not to everyones taste. If you are e.g. into "sustain", than you shouldn´t go for a percussive uke. If you are into the old-timey midrange bark, than you can´t go wrong with the Brueko No. 6.

For sound comparison between maple and mahogany bruekos you may listen to this:

I prefer the No. 6 because it is more versatile. It can sing gently or bark loud, depending how hard you strum/pick it. The all-maple Brueko is more kind of a one-trick pony: It yells and that´s it. With "like it a lot...or not" I meant, that the percussive sound is not to everyones taste. If you are e.g. into "sustain", than you shouldn´t go for a percussive uke. If you are into the old-timey midrange bark, than you can´t go wrong with the Brueko No. 6.

For sound comparison between maple and mahogany bruekos you may listen to this:

Ah, so the No. 2 has ONLY one bright, loud tone while the No. 6 may produce distinctive tone, depending on how we'll play it? Okay, I guess we should prioritize the tone first, looks are second. Am I right? And thanks for the video, now I know what's the difference, quite shock when I first listened to the No. 2. It really barks! While the No. 6 has sweeter sound. But will the No. 6 able to barks as loud as No. 2 with the right strumming?

Last edited:
The No. 6 is actually pretty loud. Especially with aquilas. My only soprano uke that is louder is my Koaloha ;).

Top Bottom