Coloring for epoxy

Every time i sand a piece of ebony i keep the powdery residue just in case i need to darken some epoxy to replace a
fret marker or such on an ebony fretboard or fill in a bad chip on a used instrument. It can be added to superglue also
when needed, but you have to work fast! lol

For your needs regarding inlay work that the ebony "sandings" would probably work pretty good in epoxy on a dark ebony base,....virtually hiding any slight difference
in the fit between your inlay design and the channel you cut.

Similiar shavings can be saved from sanding spruce or rosewood also,....which will pretty much blend in with most any
need.

Last edited:
You could pick up some powder coat at a Harbor Freight store. Last time I checked, they had black, white, yellow and red. Five bucks buys a jar. If you want more exotic colors, there are many sources on line.

I just finished my first inlay job with all my new toys. I was inlaying shell on a peghead made from Padauk. I decided to try the pastels as a colorant and it worked perfectly. These are artists soft pastels. If you go to a real artist supply you will find individual sticks of soft pastels in every shade in the book. Scaped it into a powder with an exacto, mixed with 5 minute epoxy and turned out perfect.

I just finished my first inlay job with all my new toys. I was inlaying shell on a peghead made from Padauk. I decided to try the pastels as a colorant and it worked perfectly. These are artists soft pastels. If you go to a real artist supply you will find individual sticks of soft pastels in every shade in the book. Scaped it into a powder with an exacto, mixed with 5 minute epoxy and turned out perfect.

Pictures please :)

Yes, pictures please :)
That dadgum rio grande stuff is 'spensive, but it's on the list.

Top Bottom