PDA

View Full Version : New rumba flamenca....please give your opinions

patico
07-21-2011, 08:21 AM
Hi UUs
after some (hard) work i was finally able to transpose this guitar piece to the ukulele. it's a rumba flamenca that i like a lot.

i don't have quality gear to record my stuff, but anyway.... here it goes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpPuoUHWIOs

iorana korua ta'ato'a

pulelehua
07-21-2011, 09:05 AM
I really like the subtlety of your strumming. You've got a wonderful range of textures there. It would be nice to have the chordal accompaniment on another ukulele.

I've been wondering lately how you go about making a flamenco ukulele, because surely what you want from a flameco guitar: shallower body, less sustain, more percussive attack, is kind of there already. Dunno. I'm no expert.

slackkey007
07-21-2011, 09:05 AM
Aloha & Welcome to the UU and our Forums! I checked out this video - great playing Bruddah! I like Rumba Flamenca very much. Have you heard of Jesse Cook? He's an amazing composer/musician/Flamenco Guitarist. He came out with a production and album called, "The Rumba Foundation." He modernizes and melds his trademark Spanish Flamenco style with the music of Cuba, Haiti, Brazil, Panama, and Columbia, among others for this collaboration of crisply performed guitar music with a mix of world influence with waves of percussion and emotion. Here's a link to a tv special about The Rumba Foundation album and tour. I love the music!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T5ybE-o06I

I also watched your other videos. Great playing! By any chance, do you have tabs of the different songs that you play? I only know how to play by tabs. I have no clue on how to read sheet music. Keep the videos coming. Let me know what you think of Jesse Cook and his "The Rumba Foundation."

Trinimon
07-21-2011, 09:07 AM
Sounds great to me!

pulelehua
07-21-2011, 09:08 AM
Just watched Falseta Tangos. Ooooooooooooooooooooh! Would love to learn to do that!

BadLands Bart
07-21-2011, 09:11 AM
Very very nice!!! Perhaps you could post the tabs to that song???

patico
07-21-2011, 12:50 PM
i don't have the tabs for the songs, but could write them uppon request.
the only problem is i use Guitar Pro.

if someone wants the tab of something i've played on my videoas, just ask, but it will be as a Guitar Pro file.

Lexxy
07-21-2011, 01:02 PM
Patico, i would be overjoyed if you would make a tab for Aguamarina (Although it might boggle my mind to no end), but i would love to dive into Flamenco tunes. I love them.

Uke Whisperer
07-21-2011, 01:07 PM
Beautiful!!!

itsme
07-21-2011, 01:47 PM
Really nice transcription and playing! :)

i don't have the tabs for the songs, but could write them uppon request.
the only problem is i use Guitar Pro.

if someone wants the tab of something i've played on my videoas, just ask, but it will be as a Guitar Pro file.
Tabs would be great! BTW, if Guitar Pro doesn't allow you export or save as PDF, there are easy add-ins like CutePDF or PDF995 that allow you to "print" from any program to create a PDF. Basically two parts, a converter and a printer driver that allows you to select it when you hit print, same as any other physical printer attached to your PC, except it "prints" to a PDF file.

patico
07-22-2011, 10:09 AM
Really nice transcription and playing! :)

Tabs would be great! BTW, if Guitar Pro doesn't allow you export or save as PDF, there are easy add-ins like CutePDF or PDF995 that allow you to "print" from any program to create a PDF. Basically two parts, a converter and a printer driver that allows you to select it when you hit print, same as any other physical printer attached to your PC, except it "prints" to a PDF file.

wow, i'm not very familiar with those things you mentioned above.
i downloaded the guitar-pro and came with the serial number, so it allows me to use all functions, write, print, etc. i would highly suggest it for the ones who want to study cause it plays along as it shows you the tabs n classical notation, you can slow down the music, metronomo, all important features while studying.

Ted4
07-22-2011, 10:10 AM
No disrespect to anybody else here, but that is my favourite film of any I have seen to date. Ole Mesurier!!

patico
07-22-2011, 10:13 AM
Patico, i would be overjoyed if you would make a tab for Aguamarina (Although it might boggle my mind to no end), but i would love to dive into Flamenco tunes. I love them.

if you really want to dive in flamenco i can help you
but remember,,,, rumba is the least flamenco of all the flamenco styles.

let me know when you are ready to start.

@LEXXY, i'll start writing the tab this weekend.

Ted4
07-22-2011, 10:16 AM
Deal me in on that one chaps. I have played flamenco guitar for decades, would love to get more of it down on the ukulele.

patico
07-22-2011, 10:20 AM
No disrespect to anybody else here, but that is my favourite film of any I have seen to date. Ole Mesurier!!

hey Ted4, thanks for those words. it makes me happy, and will keep studying to post new songs for everybody to enjoy.

slackkey007
07-22-2011, 10:57 AM
Awesome! I would love tabs of all your Rumba Flamenco and Flamenco! Please teach me!

Aloha!

Tube
07-22-2011, 11:35 AM
Wow, I could listen to this for hours.

sbarron
07-22-2011, 01:42 PM
My opinion: beautiful.

-Scott

fumanshu
07-23-2011, 12:42 AM
Very nice!!! You make it sound very good on the uke!!!

Congrats!

mitchchang
07-23-2011, 04:43 AM
Nice! It makes me happy that for ONCE, when someone says "this is flamenco", they actually play something by someone who is flamenco! For those who think Jesse Cook is flamenco, this is like saying "Oh I love Hawaiian food - my favorite is BBQ chicken and mac salad". It's kind of a slap in the face to the gentleman paying homage to Paco Cepero - just sayin'

PhilUSAFRet
07-23-2011, 09:34 AM
Loved it, great job!

TCK
07-23-2011, 09:39 AM
umm yeah- it was OK...
JUST KIDDING-My goodness man, where have you been hiding? Absolutely fantastic tune, and your strumming techniques will ensure that I do not sleep for the next week. Truly some ukulele wizardry there that will no doubt inspire many from reading the thread to try and play it- good on you!
Absolutely beautiful-now you need to find someone to chord for you
Can't get over how good that was- made my day. Thanks for posting it.

itsme
07-23-2011, 10:16 AM
wow, i'm not very familiar with those things you mentioned above.
i downloaded the guitar-pro and came with the serial number, so it allows me to use all functions, write, print, etc. i would highly suggest it for the ones who want to study cause it plays along as it shows you the tabs n classical notation, you can slow down the music, metronomo, all important features while studying.
GuitarPro looks to be a very capable program, but it costs $60 and some of us would rather not spend that when there are free alternatives like PowerTab, MusEdit and TuxGuitar. Even TablEdit offers a free viewer that gives you considerable options to print existing scores (tab and/or notation, number of staves per page).

Which version of GP are you using? I downloaded the free trial of v6, but it is so crippled as to be virtually useless. You can only open the included examples and can only print the first page of them. But it does show exporting to PDF as an option in the full version. That is probably your best bet for making your scores as accessible to as many people as possible. :)

TuxGuitar will open GP scores for v2-v5.

joejeweler
07-23-2011, 11:40 AM
Nice Try!!!!,.......trying to pull a "fast one" on us!!! Fingers, that is! My 'puter froze
up on those fast single string tremelo sections,.....couldn't handle it i guess! :drool:

That index/middle finger fast work is something i've always missed being able to work on. Just ain't going to happen with the tip of my index missing.
(Long story but if you're curious i recently posted about it here on post #13 with graphic pics) http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?50574-GRAPHIC-When-am-I-gonna-learn/page2

A lot of classical guitar technique in your performance, and i thoroughly enjoyed that arrangement and your playing. Nice Job!
As some have mentioned getting a 2nd ukulele in the backround chording the rhythm would be great,....but it sounds lovely as is.

I too await any transcription of this piece when you find the time. As someone already mentioned Guitar Pro should allow you to download a .pdf file that would be more accessable to the majority here.

slackkey007
07-23-2011, 11:42 AM
"For those who think Jesse Cook is flamenco, this is like saying "Oh I love Hawaiian food - my favorite is BBQ chicken and mac salad". It's kind of a slap in the face to the gentleman paying homage to Paco Cepero - just sayin'" - mitchchang

Hey Mitchchang,

What Brah???!!!!?!!!! You singling me out???!!!! Save your opinion to yourself if you no can be nice here on da Forums Brah! What about Paco de Lucia??? Otherwise, if you cannot be nice ... I know where I can find you Brah.

itsme
07-23-2011, 12:09 PM
What Brah???!!!!?!!!! You singling me out???!!!! Save your opinion to yourself if you no can be nice here on da Forums Brah! What about Paco de Lucia??? Otherwise, if you cannot be nice ... I know where I can find you Brah.
You didn't even include a smiley face, so I don't know how serious you're being here. :p

But as a long-time classical guitarist who's dabbled in some flamenco, I can tell you Paco deLucia is well respected in the community as a true flamenco player.

Jesse Cook, along with the likes of Ottmar Liebert and Armik (all three of whose music I enjoy very much and respect as guitarists) are considered more flamenco-flavored new age/easy listening and not true flamenco artists like PDL. :) I believe the term used most often to describe them is "Nouveau Flamenco."

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it. :)

slackkey007
07-23-2011, 12:37 PM
You didn't even include a smiley face, so I don't know how serious you're being here. :p

But as a long-time classical guitarist who's dabbled in some flamenco, I can tell you Paco deLucia is well respected in the community as a true flamenco player.

Jesse Cook, along with the likes of Ottmar Liebert and Armik (all three of whose music I enjoy very much and respect as guitarists) are considered more flamenco-flavored new age/easy listening and not true flamenco artists like PDL. :) I believe the term used most often to describe them is "Nouveau Flamenco."

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it. :)

If you read my original post, I mentioned that Jesse Cook is a Pioneer in that he melded Rumba Flamenco with other world music from Colombia, Panama, Brazil ... among other countries, and called it the "Rumba Foundation." I really like how he incorporated all the different styles and made a really nice "Fusion" that apparently many people who have had the opportunity to hear the songs from the Rumba Foundation like it as well. I never once mentioned that he is the greatest Flamenco Artist at all. Then you have mitchchang opening his big mouth ... he has a problem with talking before actually thinking about what he says and rubs people the wrong way. I've personally seen and heard mitch do this a few times to business people here in L.A. I know he promotes concerts, shows and other events, but come on Brah! Be humble ... no be one high maka maka A_S H_L_!!! Hey Mitch, you'll never reach the status of Jesse Cook as a musician. YOU WISH!!! You're just jealous-you hater.

itsme
07-23-2011, 02:10 PM
slackkey007, there's no need to resort to personal attacks. You did call Jesse Cook "an amazing ... Flamenco Guitarist."

I "get" what mitchchang was trying to say, and I actually agree with him. Just as L&L Hawaiian BBQ isn't authentic Hawaiian food, and Taco Bell isn't authentic Mexican food (though I enjoy them both), Jesse Cook isn't authentic flamenco.

:2cents:

patico
07-24-2011, 03:44 PM
Hey UUs
we're here to enjoy, share, learn, music..... no fights please.

Answering:
ITSME
i have a "pirate" version of the guitar pro 5. can't remember where i got it, but i've been using this program since the Guitar Pro 2 version. i wouldn't waste U$ 60 on the original program, but it is very easy to find it on the internet. just search n you'll find. i have tons of tabs that i've collected over the years, others i'd wrote, so would be impossible for me to change to another program. you said the tuxguitar would open the GP5 tabs. give it a try !!!

TCK
jajajajajaj. i haven't been hiding...... i've been studying how to play the ukulele!!!!
i'm teaching a friend how to play the ukelele, hope he can soon back me up with the chords. i know i really need the backing chords to sound better.

JOEJEWELER
not classical guitar, flamenco guitar... it's a bit different. you can see when i do picados, all of them are "rest" picados. i don't know the name in english but it's when you finish the movement of the finger resting in the upper string. the same happens with the thumb.
other subtle differences will appear on other pieces i'm working, for ex, the flamenco tremolo uses T-I-R-M-I, that's 5 notes in 1 tempo, while classical uses T-R-M-I. other difference is the rasgueos, if you check a sevillana i uploaded, you'll see the traditional sevillana rasgueado whichi is very unfrecuent in classical guitar

Next video......I'm workin on a tremolo piece that's givin me headaches. hope i finish it soon.

iorana korua
maururu !!!!