Website advice

pulelehua

Reaction score
So, I created this webspace to sell my compositions. But of course at the moment, I have 1 page where they're sold, and... well, that's it.

I had originally planned on there being more. But what?

This is where you come in!

Is there anything missing from the world of ukulele websites?

I was thinking of a page on technique-related stuff. Sort of a more technical, smaller scale Uke Minutes (not meant to compete with Aldrine, cos let's be real - I can't). I was going to tie that in with my compositions, but they are techniques which have all sorts of applications. So, that seemed good in the sense that if you want to play the etudes, it's very handy, and if you don't, like Uke Minutes, it maybe puts something else in your bag of tricks.

Beyond that, I'm not sure what to do. I could do a potted history, but I'm not sure that's necessary. I could do chord charts, but they're pretty easy to find, I think. I can't give much buying advice, cos I've only ever owned 2 ukuleles. Add my son's and my wife's, and that's 4. Hardly enough to say much of any use.

What would you lovely people like to see?

(I should add that I will be away from home until the end of August, so any suggestions will be slow boilers. But I would like to give something with my website. Otherwise, it seems like a wasted opportunity.)

Thanks in advance.

John

Well, currently you have a link to your youtube channel which takes you off-site to listen to the etudes.

What I'd do is embed them on your site, and expand on the descriptions of them you included in your other thread, pointing out the specific goals that each one can help you achieve and/or just giving advice on how they should be played.

Another thought is that you could offer them individually for £1 each.

"Not sure if the etudes are for you? Order a single etude for £1 and I will send it with a coupon code good for £1 off the full set if you decide to purchase it within 7 days."

Or something like that. Not sure how you'd set that up on the paypal end, but I've seen it done many times. :)

Well, currently you have a link to your youtube channel which takes you off-site to listen to the etudes.

What I'd do is embed them on your site, and expand on the descriptions of them you included in your other thread, pointing out the specific goals that each one can help you achieve and/or just giving advice on how they should be played.

"Not sure if the etudes are for you? Order a single etude for £1 and I will send it with a coupon code good for £1 off the full set if you decide to purchase it within 7 days."

Or something like that. Not sure how you'd set that up on the paypal end, but I've seen it done many times. :)

I've been meaning to look up how to embed videos. I jsut don't know how to generate the HTML. That's a great idea. As is the 1 etude for £1 deal. Don't know how I'd do that, either.

Any experts out there?

Thanks! Big help already. :)

Just looked up the embedding thing. Is it really that simple? One tiny line of code? I assume you have to give it [ u r l ] [ / u r l ] tags?

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2BQQMQF90ZU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Tried it. Why doesn't this work?

Last edited:
Is this it?

[iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2BQQMQF90ZU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen][/iframe]

No. Starting to feel ignorant..........................

THIS?!

Exclamatory Leonard Cohen song!

I guess it works differently here to how it works on a normal website.

Last edited:
Exclamatory Leonard Cohen song!

I guess it works differently here to how it works on a normal website.
Looks like you got it! :p

And yes, it works differently here. vBulletin uses something called BB (for bulletin board) code. Unless a forum owner is completely clueless, they will not allow HTML code because it's too easy to exploit. A snippet of javascript can hijack you or install malware.

Youtube will give you the code to embed, presuming the owner allows it. The default appears to be yes, unless the owner has changed that setting. I checked one of yours and it did have embedding enabled.

http://www.google.com/support/youtube/bin/answer.py?answer=171780

Yeah! Glad you got it. It's all a mystery to me. Thanks.

This is all great, itsme. I'm currently setting up the individual etude pages (otherwise there would be LOTS of scrolling). That's all very straightforward.

Setting up £1 sales will be easy, though I'll need to generate new PDFs for individual etudes. I'll need to look into what I'll get out of £1, as I know Paypal's margins get pretty bad on cheap goods. I would hate for someone to be charged more (for instance, if they decided to buy them piecemeal and slowly, and ended up with all 10 of them) and for Paypal to make lots off of it. Paypal is handy, but it's hard to defend that they're doing very much other than lending a brand name.

Top Bottom