Over the shoulder strap

Flycracker

Reaction score
See? I don't even know what to call it.
I see some players using a strap to support the Uke similar to ones seen on guitars. If I can find one to fit a Uke, how do I fasten it to the instrument?
What is it called so I can get on the web and most likely find one.

Thanks
rich

Drill a hole in my Uke, Gasp!!! You're serious aren't you.
Anyway, I ordered one you recommended.
Thanks
Rich

Thanks
Rich

You're welcome! I resisted getting a strap button installed for way too long. One day I finally had it done on one uke, and it was life-altering - so much easier to play tricky bits when you have the extra support. The next day I brought the rest of my ukes in and submitted them to the drill :)

http://www.amazon.com/Neotech-80010...cal-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1311277916&sr=1-1

I got this one cuz I prefer the material over leather. More importantly, I can clip it off the uke so it's easier to store. The best part of it is that you can get extra end pieces so you don't have to buy another strap. Originally, the strap didn't fit over the headstock so I called Neotech and they had replacement parts that are longer so not an issue anymore. For my troubles, they sent me two sets so I can use it for both my ukes!!

I got a hole drilled in mine as well and couldn't be happier.

buy a ukeleash, they are fantastic no drilling needed and very innovative

Thanks
Rich

As far as I know, all the different straps either need at least one strap button or else they have a hook that hangs onto the soundhole. The Ukeleash that Kaizersoza mentioned uses a hook. I had a strap button installed on my tiple a couple of months ago -- it cost $15 total (for the button, a felt washer between the button and the instrument, and labor) and took just a few minutes. I use a strap similar to the one Janeray1940 recommended for my tenor.

I picked up this Kala "Uke Crazy" strap a month ago for a concert uke.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040O49OU

The Ukeleash that Kaizersoza mentioned uses a hook.

Uke Leash doesn't use a hook. It attaches to the headstock and then has a loop for the shoulder. It was invented by a fellow UU'er, Lori. Here's the link to the site:

http://ukeleash.com/

As far as I know, all the different straps either need at least one strap button or else they have a hook that hangs onto the soundhole.

The Uke Leash is unlike any other strap--no strap button needed and it doesn't have a hook. If you're squeamish about drilling your ukulele but you want a strap, check out the Uke Leash (google it). I know it made a world of difference for me.

What kind of strap button do they uses for ukuleles? Does it just require a small hole for a button that screws in, or a larger hole like a mandolin end pin? Any pictures of these?

I installed the same mandolin strap that janeray1940 recommended, and love it. There are any number of strap buttons to choose from- check out Stewmac for a good selection.
All that said- I couldn't imagine drilling into my Martin soprano! (I guess we all have our limits).

On a couple of my ukes I didn't even drill
a pilot hole.Just made the start of a hole
with a bradawl and then put the screw
right in.No problems and I have done it on
my own and a few friends ukes!

Couldn't a classical guitar strap be used for a uke where it just grabs on the bottom of the soundhole?

Dan

Dan that sort of strap does not suit everyone
and is nowhere near as 'safe' as a fitted strap
that goes over the shoulder of the player.I have
seen players with that type,let go of the uke and
it spins and drops to the floor!

Thanks for the pictures. I wonder if this would affect the value of a ukulele?

For some it will affect the resale value- yep. It depends on several factors, including who you sell to.
I personally don't trust the clip-to-the-soundhole type of strap. As luthien says- they can still crash to the floor, and I always worry about the hook scratching, or (shudder) ripping out a chunk from the oh-so-fragile soundhole.
That uke leash is a pretty clever alternative, if you can't bring yourself to drill. I never regretted it myself.

Top Bottom