Chiming

Chimes are pretty common in a lot of local music (especially slack-key).

Herb Ohta Jr uses a lot of chimes, and if you've ever seen his one-handed chimes in person, it's pretty crazy.

yeah these are actually quite common in a lot of musical genres. and the positions to get the chime effect are the same on the guitar. 5,7,and 12.

metallica uses it in the intro of "nothing else matters"
mr big uses it in the guitar solo to "to be with you"
aldrine uses it in the intro to "serenade"
and in the song "blurry" its used throughout the song.

Thx for the info guys... always love too learn new stuff :D

haha yeah i didnt even know you could do that till i learned how to play the intro to "nothing else matters". now, i always notice when someone uses them.

I've always called them harmonics. Is chiming just another word or have I been calling it by the wrong name?

yeah ive always called them harmonics. i was curious as to what exactly chiming was, so i clicked the link. but yeah its just another thing to call it.

kinda like...
chunk = scratch = etc etc

I learned chiming from slack-key guitar. I apply it to the uke too.

The trouble is that chimes on the 7th fret aren't as loud or clear as chimes on the 12th fret. There's a classical guitar technique (basic physics really) of playing closer to the saddle, but you still have to pull the string a bit harder to get the chime out with a lot of projection.

i also learned it being called harmonics but i never knew you could do it on the 5th and 7th frets. only knew that you can do it on the 12th fret.

it can also be used toward tuning a guitar.

low E 5th harmonic = A 7th harmonic
A 5th harmonic = D 7th harmonic
D 5th harmonic = G 7th harmonic
B 5th harmonic = high E 7th harmonic

Herb Ohta Jr plays "rock-a-bye baby" with chimes as the intro to this one...

with his one-handed chiming technique, he can actually hold frets with his left hand and chime with his right...it's pretty trippy to see up close...and I've been trying to master it ever since I first saw it.

Basically he uses his right pointer finger to "chime" the string and holds his thumb a few inches behind the pointer to actually hit the string...it's hard to describe, but it allows you to do some interesting things...if you can pull it off

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JmlPPi8d-MQ

Last edited:
Herb Ohta Jr plays "rock-a-bye baby" with chimes as the intro to this one...

with his one-handed chiming technique, he can actually hold frets with his left hand and chime with his right...it's pretty trippy to see up close...and I've been trying to master it ever since I first saw it.

Basically he uses his right pointer finger to "chime" the string and holds his thumb a few inches behind the pointer to actually hit the string...it's hard to describe, but it allows you to do some interesting things...if you can pull it off

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JmlPPi8d-MQ

tried to click on the link and its not working. mind checking that out and reposting it? im really interested in seeing what you are talking about.

I just recently wrote a "uke minute" on this technique. You can actually chime out any note you want on your ukulele. It's a violin technique using your pointer and thumb. We'll be filming this ep soon so watch out for it :D

I do this technique right at the end of "Legend of Zelda" where I did the reprise of the "Song of Time" Also, I used this techique on the intro to the recorded version of "duckyadoresme" which can be found here:

http://www.purevolume.com/aldrine

I just recently wrote a "uke minute" on this technique. You can actually chime out any note you want on your ukulele. It's a violin technique using your pointer and thumb. We'll be filming this ep soon so watch out for it :D

I do this technique right at the end of "Legend of Zelda" where I did the reprise of the "Song of Time" Also, I used this techique on the intro to the recorded version of "duckyadoresme" which can be found here:

http://www.purevolume.com/aldrine
coolness! i didnt know you could do that on any note. cant wait to see the next uke minutes. is it more difficult than it sounds?

i also learned it being called harmonics but i never knew you could do it on the 5th and 7th frets. only knew that you can do it on the 12th fret.

You can also do it higher up too, If you do it the same distance down the fret board as the 7th and 5th frets are up the fret board (somewhere over the sound hole on a uke). It has to do with the resonant frequency of the strings i think (i really suck at science and math stuff).

Top Bottom