Celebrities with ukuleles

wolfybau

Reaction score
I wasn't realy sure where to post this.

this morning it is realy hot and miserable and it hasn't rain in so long, i try to stay outside because we have a bad mold problem in my house, so i am not looking forward to an ill day out in this desert island type heat and humidity. i feel like I am shipwrecked on a lee shore, so decided to find some pirate songs to play whilst rocking on my creaky wooden swing.
when I came across this old video of Marlon Brando. The dancing had me in fits of laughter ;)

Haha you're not kidding, its no better here in PA. The grass has been brown for weeks! Interesting video...

Can anyone tell what chord Marlon is playing? I love one chord songs!

The lack of frets are one tell-tale, while the top not being attached to the rest of the instrument is another.

On the other hand, Brando lived in Polynesia for quite some time - who really knows what the dance was supposed to be, or the origin?

I certainly don't.

But overall, I really did like the dancing - all of it. even Brando's. It seemed to fit in with everyone else.

-kurt

The lack of frets are one tell-tale, while the top not being attached to the rest of the instrument is another.

On the other hand, Brando lived in Polynesia for quite some time

I had no idea that ukuleles in Polynesia were made of papier mache. Every day on this forum deepens my education.

a papier mache ukulele, now why didnt I think of that? lol Ive heard of cardboard instruments

here is a funny vid of Marilyn Monroe with a uke

Oh Marlon Brando was so young and I love Bill Macy. Marilyn.... well she wasn't REALLY playing the uke.

Oh Marlon Brando was so young and I love Bill Macy. Marilyn.... well she wasn't REALLY playing the uke.

Maybe Marilyn was not playing the uke there but she really did play ukulele.

Here is Bob Doyle, self-help guru and one of the feature teachers on "The Secret" DVD and book of the same title. Bob is actually a talented musician and ukulele enthusiast. We are featuring him in the next issue of Ukulele Player Magazine.

http://www.youtube.com/user/boundless

Here's Gracie Allen playing an ukulele (not in the still shot; near the beginning of the video).

When asked about learning to play the ukulele for the film, Gracie was quoted as saying, “All you have to do is to scratch your tummy for a while and then put a ukelele there.”

Maybe Marilyn was not playing the uke there but she really did play ukulele.

Marilyn played uke at least a little bit (taught by Bill Tapia, who also taught other movie stars). The uke in that video is actually a Martin Style 3, painted white (hopefully it was a factory job!).

Here's Steve Martin and Bernadette Peters doing one of my favourites, "Tonight, You Belong To Me" from"The Jerk". Listen closely, at the end of the scene, you'll hear a crunch. That is him standing on the Martin
uke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI8NuFAETMQ

here is Tom Hanks in Joe vs the Volcano. in the comments someone mentions that the credits list Tom as performer and writer of the song

I wasn't realy sure where to post this.

this morning it is realy hot and miserable and it hasn't rain in so long, i try to stay outside because we have a bad mold problem in my house, so i am not looking forward to an ill day out in this desert island type heat and humidity. i feel like I am shipwrecked on a lee shore, so decided to find some pirate songs to play whilst rocking on my creaky wooden swing.
when I came across this old video of Marlon Brando. The dancing had me in fits of laughter ;)

Pretty miserable here in Texas as well. We've had so many consecutive days of temperatures over 100 degrees I can't even let myself think about it any more. It's 10:45 p.m. now and the temperature's down to 91, so I'm going to hook up a light and go out and flush my radiator and put on a new thermostat so I can drive my car. I will be SO glad when this summer is over. I'll watch the video when I get done. I could do with some fits of laughter.

Top Bottom