Resistance to changes in humidity?

Hi. Are there certain tone woods that are more resistant to changes in humidity? Thanks.

Are you talking about solids or laminates?
idk about solids but for those newbies looking at this thread out of curiosity laminates arent really affected that much. I live in vegas which is like 15 percent humid. All year and mine still hasnt cracked or been damaged at all so far. I keep it out a lot too, just dont leave it in the car on a hot day :3

I'm wondering about maybe a solid top. But if there are thoughts about all solid that would be great to hear as well. I don't want to have to baby my uke. I'm not going to keep it in a car, but I also don't want to have to worry so much about humidifying it. So I feel that limits me to only laminates. But if there is a good compromise, I'd like to hear about it. I live in the bay area, california.

I have several solid Spruce tops (lam sides and backs) that I leave out all the time, and I have only one that changes so that I can tell with varying humidity. Strings are a totally different story, and my aquilla strings change like crazy

Different woods do have different amounts of expansion and contraction due to humidity changes. Two of the woods with the least change are Port Orford cedar and Alsaka yellow cedar.

Brad

Top Bottom