Which is better Oscar Schmidt OU5 or Ovation Applause UA20?

darrickshin

Reaction score
so, i already bought my oscar schmidt OU5 uke and im pretty happy with it... except for the fact that my nylon strings are chipping on the ends of my frets (near where i strum)... and my friend's bro got a new uke so shes giving me his old one (Ovation Applause UA20)... that he gave to her...

soo... quality wise (say they both dont have any major defects) which would you say is better?

p.s. i also have to get new strings for the Ovation...

edit: oh yeah @n@ the ovation isnt electric/acoustic (just acoustic)

Last edited:
I've never even played an Oscar Schmitt, but I've heard some iffy things about them.

I had a soprano Applause, and I really liked it-- it had a really nice sound. The knobs were a little small, but that was my only real complaint. It sounds surprisingly good unplugged, actually, which was something I didn't expect. I've heard the tenors aren't as well-made, for whatever reason, and don't have as good a sound, especially unplugged. But I liked the soprano. I ended up selling it off fairly quick, though, when I realized what I really wanted was an eleuke, so I could play at night wihtout disturbing anyone.

Anyway, the real answer is it's all a matter of taste. Buy the Applause and sell off whichever one you don't like as much.

Well...I've never tried an applause but I love my Oscar Schmidt Concert. It's durable as heck, and has an alright sound with a string change.

Top Bottom