My first attempt at finger-picking- Yuma, Justin Townes Earle

TCK

Reaction score
I have loved this song since the day the EP came out, and I have played it daily for about four months. In any event- I tried it fingerstyle. I know it needs work, but I figure that on this particular afternoon, while it was 110 degrees and I was huddled next to the feeble AC on the floor, I probably got a bit of what I hoped in my head it would sound like.
"It is a real downer- if you're good you get two downers in a row"- David Rawlings

Go easy kids, and as always- thanks for indulging me.

Pretty damned fine for a first attempt. :)

Simple picking pattern, but you kept up a nice steady pace with no faltering. I think you were born to fingerpick!

110, yikes! Don't envy you. We hit 113 here last year and it was miserable. :(

Thanks lads- glad you liked the video...I need to learn some more complex patterns but I don't know where to start, and have no one to play with that can do them- just noodle a lot. I guess I have hit the plateau so to speak, but it won't last long. I work at them all day long (at least the ones I can figure out).

itsme- we have already hit 115 on one day- was pretty sure the chickens and myself were going to perish...fortunately, we did not and it has for the most part been a mild summer.

Aloha Dave,
Good start it sounds nice...I learned on my baritone too..thanks for sharing..MM Stan

Excellent first attempt! Clean, clear and steady. Try playing the pattern twice as fast. Another pattern to try is thumb(P), index(I), middle(M), ring(A) on strings 4,3,2 and 1. Then try P-A-M-I on strings 4,1,2,3. Try practicing the patterns away from the instrument. On your leg, on the side of a chair, on a table, etc. I encourage you to try not to rest your pinky. It can hinder your picking fingers. I did it for years and a very good teacher got me out of the habit. Fingerpicking is great fun. Enjoy!

Wonderful! I too am working on fingerpicking, but I haven't gotten anywhere near where you are :) Keep it up!

Thanks all!
Ray- great tip! I rest that bugger all the time, as I learned on a uke I got as a second and it had a wear mark where one would rest...I stuck my finger on it to figure out what caused it and was finger picking right off. I will give those patterns a go as well, and with playing the bones and all- my fingers are always going on any available surface.
Stan- so much easier on the Bari...I practice on my soprano banjo uke though. That way when I take the Bari out it seems easy :)
Susie- you will in no time...I practice more than most because they think it is great when I play at work and shirk my other obligations, and I have all summer off. Probably at at least six hours a day of practice/playing time right now (lol)

Loved it Dave. Just loved it. Wow, what a great song that is and you sang and played it real sweet mate. Brought out all the emotion seething away in those words.

Everyone just starting out with fingerpicking, I had some old files from some forum topic that have a few really good patterns to practice- hit me PM and I will drop them on ya.

Huna- thanks man, it is work but nice to hear it is paying off.
Jon- glad you liked it mate, and thanks as always for the kind words. Tune is a doozy innit? It was ridiculous because I play it all the time- just happened to have the camera on that time and I knew that was as good as it was going to get for now. Hoping I didn't get too close to the emotion- maybe just understandingly watching from afar ;)

Hey! Great Job!! I would really recommend UU+. There is some excellent finger picking lessons on there! I have learned a lot from it. Keep up the great work!! And thanks for sharing. Your bari looks HUGE!

Great job, Dave, really beautiful. I'm working on the right hand stuff as well..... slow, uphill work. I dig the tune - always liked his stuff, but never heard that one.... have to check it out....

NIcely done. I have been working on finger picking patterns for a while. They sure add a nice dimension to your playing. Your notes ring nice and clear. Great playing and singing.
Don

Thanks so much guys- Appreciate the support for my playing- makes em want to do nothing else.
Skidoo- you ain't kidding. I am naturally left handed, so I usually have to go hit the sucker with a hammer a few times to get it to cooperate...lots and lots of work getting even a simple pattern going.
Carrie- I may have to check that out, funny...I am a teacher who has very little patience for being taught, but it gets so many great reviews.
And Nahla...I am going to need some singing lessons now;)

Top Bottom