PDA

View Full Version : Using the middlefinger for D chord (Tetris theme)

Jimmy Ukulele
07-23-2011, 01:29 AM
I am at the moment trying to learn the "Tetris theme" from the 3rd Ukulele lesson by Aldrine (http://ukuleleunderground.com/2008/03/ukulele-lesson-3-tetris/), but have a slight problem with the D chord there.

So usually I would play the D with my pointer-, middle- and ringfinger, but in the lesson you need to use just your middlefinger for it, as it is followed up by playing D again together with fretting the A string at the 1st fret with your pointerfinger.

How can you actually practise to bend your finger like that? I can do it no problem with my indexfinger, but not with my middlefinger.
I am guessing the only answer is "practise", but I am asking anyway, maybe somebody knows an alternative way how to play that part or some nice way to improve your "finger bending capabilities"? ;)

chiefnoda
07-23-2011, 04:05 AM
Hi Jimmy

Well, the simple answer is to "practice" but I add "slowly". Getting flexibility is like doing yoga. You do it little by little everyday. In ten years, you'll get some. If you rush, you may injure your finger.

Having said that, I can also think of alternatives. Can you use the ring finger? Or a pinky? For the partial barre? Or, can you use Middle-Ring-Pinky for G, C, and E strings, one finger for each string? (Some do it as Ring-Middle-Pinky on G C E).

Or (this is what I do on guitar) Middle on G and C and Ring on E string. This requires less bennding on Middle finger and Ring finger provides a firmer support.

The alternative may not fit if the other fingers are needed elsewhere but worth exploring.

Happy Pickin
Chief

PhilUSAFRet
07-23-2011, 09:21 AM
Hi Jimmy

Well, the simple answer is to "practice" but I add "slowly". Getting flexibility is like doing yoga. You do it little by little everyday. In ten years, you'll get some. If you rush, you may injure your finger.

Having said that, I can also think of alternatives. Can you use the ring finger? Or a pinky? For the partial barre? Or, can you use Middle-Ring-Pinky for G, C, and E strings, one finger for each string? (Some do it as Ring-Middle-Pinky on G C E).

Or (this is what I do on guitar) Middle on G and C and Ring on E string. This requires less bennding on Middle finger and Ring finger provides a firmer support.

The alternative may not fit if the other fingers are needed elsewhere but worth exploring.

Happy Pickin
Chief

Big AMEN here! Barreing the D with you middle finger only requires practice. How long to master? Varies from player to player. Like cooking rice.....no way to hurry it.

uke_rob
07-23-2011, 12:41 PM
All I can add is the way I play D which is Middle, Ring, Pinky.

Find what's best with you, and practice different ways, I'm sure you will get it, just takes time :)

RawrGazzawrs
07-23-2011, 01:01 PM
I just use my index finger.. pressing down with the top part of my finger and the joint where it bends should be on the E string. you could try that or practice with chord progressions into the D chord with your middle finger like that. Just do whatever is easiest for you and practice getting faster at progressing through songs then.

joeybug
07-23-2011, 01:33 PM
I use one finger for the G string and another to barre C and E, maybe that'll help you?

Welcome to UU :D

Jimmy Ukulele
07-23-2011, 11:06 PM
Thanks people, then practise it is ;)