Ukulele pickup Install

Thank you very much. Have it saved in my favorite places.

Great video- even did it with the strings in her for most of it.
Loving the use of vice grips- "ever so gently tighten this...WITH THE BIGGEST TOOL YOU CAN FIND"
Killed me with that- great video instructional in spite of one mishap in tool selection.

Why is it that every time you say "go slow," you speed up the drill? I found it humorous.

Thank you for posting this. It takes a lot of the fear out of the process.

thanks for taking the time to make this video. I'm thinking of doing this. The endpin jack you get from J&J installs from the outside. can you get one like yours from say radio shack?

The Jack That I use I got from a local instrument dealer, I believe Jessie at JJB has access to them for a few bucks more as well.

Why is it that every time you say "go slow," you speed up the drill? I found it humorous.

Thank you for posting this. It takes a lot of the fear out of the process.
Just don't go top speed thats all.

Great video- even did it with the strings in her for most of it.
Loving the use of vice grips- "ever so gently tighten this...WITH THE BIGGEST TOOL YOU CAN FIND"
Killed me with that- great video instructional in spite of one mishap in tool selection.
Hey now, I said not to use Vice Grips!

So... PLEASE recommend that people DO NOT follow your example in tool handling. Holding a uke in one hand & drilling into it with the other is a serious accident just BEGGING to happen! If someone wants to do this, they should put said uke on flat surface (maybe w/a towel or something like it between uke & table) & if they have no other way to secure the uke to said table, one hand on top of the uke to steady it & the other hand drilling carefully. Please tell me that you did it this way so you could get it near the webcam?

Though you have done a lot of these (other videos), all it would take is one "misfire" & that spinning drill could easily go plunging into a leg or arm, not to mention mangling said uke.

Other than that... Mahalo for the grande cajones!

So... PLEASE recommend that people DO NOT follow your example in tool handling. Holding a uke in one hand & drilling into it with the other is a serious accident just BEGGING to happen! If someone wants to do this, they should put said uke on flat surface (maybe w/a towel or something like it between uke & table) & if they have no other way to secure the uke to said table, one hand on top of the uke to steady it & the other hand drilling carefully. Please tell me that you did it this way so you could get it near the webcam?

Though you have done a lot of these (other videos), all it would take is one "misfire" & that spinning drill could easily go plunging into a leg or arm, not to mention mangling said uke.

Other than that... Mahalo for the grande cajones!
Yes I was holding it up for the camera, but it would also be very difficult to drill something if were laying on a towel sliding around on a table. You have to hold it some how. Thats why you always take your time and be careful.

Yes I was holding it up for the camera, but it would also be very difficult to drill something if were laying on a towel sliding around on a table. You have to hold it some how. Thats why you always take your time and be careful.

This is what I meant ...

Capture.JPG

This is Joe Souza of Kanilea installing a Mi-Si from the Uke Minutes here:

http://ukuleleunderground.com/2009/11/uke-minutes-69-how-to-install-an-ukulele-pickup/

Though his is a much more involved install due to the undersaddle transducer, he is using all the tools w/a bit more care. And the "table" in this case is his workbench which is covered in carpet.

No worries though ... you've clarified the details of the "making of the video"... and... bottom line, perhaps you've helped another uker install their own pickup instead of springing for a luthier install.

This is what I meant ...

View attachment 26005

This is Joe Souza of Kanilea installing a Mi-Si from the Uke Minutes here:

http://ukuleleunderground.com/2009/11/uke-minutes-69-how-to-install-an-ukulele-pickup/

Though his is a much more involved install due to the undersaddle transducer, he is using all the tools w/a bit more care. And the "table" in this case is his workbench which is covered in carpet.

No worries though ... you've clarified the details of the "making of the video"... and... bottom line, perhaps you've helped another uker install their own pickup instead of springing for a luthier install.
Thats fine if you have a work bench covered in carpet, most people don't. I have installed many pickups of all different shapes and sizes in many instruments, I have held it every time in one way or another. There are safe ways to hold it and drill, I always say take your time and be careful. If you are too worried about it then don't do it.

I've found that using a dowel or chopstick inserted through the hole into the endpin jack is a lot easier for the install since you can also, slide the washer and nut over the dowel while still holding the endpin jack in position and not lose the endpin jack back through the hole as what almost happened to you.

I also, installed the JJB pickup but, I used a dot of super glue to secure the pickup because I wanted the best sound transfer from the sound board (just thought the thickness of the double sided tape might block some sound vibrations from the pickup).

Last edited:
I've found that using a dowel or chopstick inserted through the hole into the endpin jack is a lot easier for the install since you can also, slide the washer and nut over the dowel while still holding the endpin jack in position and not lose the endpin jack back through the hole as what almost happened to you.

I also, installed the JJB pickup but, I used a dot of super glue to secure the pickup because I wanted the best sound transfer from the sound board (just thought the thickness of the double sided tape might block some sound vibrations from the pickup).
I use the patch cable method because when I use a dowel it seems easer to loose the jack inside of the instrument but it defiantly is easer to to get the nut on that way. This is the first time I have used tape and I'm quit pleased with the results. I have found no difference in performance of the pickup from my other ukes where I used the glue, just make sure the tape is not the thick kind.

Last edited:
I use the patch cable method because when I use a dowel it seems easer to loose the jack inside of the instrument

Make sure the dowel fits snuggly when inserted into the jack. You can wrap masking tape around the end of the dowel or chopstick to make it fit snug.

Make sure the dowel fits snuggly when inserted into the jack. You can wrap masking tape around the end of the dowel or chopstick to make it fit snug.
Thats a great idea, I am going to try that next time!

Thats fine if you have a work bench covered in carpet, most people don't. I have installed many pickups of all different shapes and sizes in many instruments, I have held it every time in one way or another. There are safe ways to hold it and drill, I always say take your time and be careful. If you are too worried about it then don't do it.

Sorry Adam, but I'm with Gmoney on this one. If you don't have a work bench, get one. If you don't have carpet, get one. If you don't have protective glasses, when drilling, get a pair. I could go on.

Its one thing to do it yourself, but I would argue that to condone it for others (after a few posts from members thanking you for the info) is not the right thing to do.

This is the last thing I will say about this. I was drilling one hole in a soft light material which wont give any resistance to the drill. I was drilling at a low speed far from my face so there won't be any chunks of wood flying at my eyes. It is perfectly safe to hold it that way. I am also a professional trades person, safety is a big part of my life. I probably drill more holes in a week the most people drill in a lifetime. I have also been working on instruments for a long time. Don't try and tell me I'm being unsafe or not holding the uke properly. If you want to put it on a bench, by all means put it on a bench, wear a hard hat and safety boots too. That's up to you. The purpose of this video was to show a pickup being installed and how simple it can be. Take from it what you want. Thank you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom