Favilla Prices Out-a-control!

Tsani

Reaction score
I love Favilla ukuleles. I have a baritone and a Marca Aquila soprano (Marca Aquila changed its name to Favilla). The reputation of the Favilla has been "as good as a Martin at a fraction of the price". That saying seems to be obsolete now as Favillas are being bought for prices that rival Martins. I see Martins in the $500-600 range, although some go higher. I am now seeing Favillas selling in the 500s for a good soprano - or especially a teardrop. I love Favillas, but I wish the rest of the world would love them a little less! My "dream uke" is a Favilla Teardrop soprano.:drool: I am beginning to doubt that I will ever own one. They are just too expensive. Poverty stinks!:p

and I wonder how come someone can't make ukes like this nowadays? wtf? hopefully martin will step up to the plate.

I think that these things go in and out of fashion. I was baffled that the beat-to-hell Favilla baritone went for $270 on eBay recently. It looked massive amount of trouble. Cracked? Missing fret markers? Major red flags. I wouldn't have touched it.

I love Favilla ukuleles. I have a baritone and a Marca Aquila soprano (Marca Aquila changed its name to Favilla). The reputation of the Favilla has been "as good as a Martin at a fraction of the price". That saying seems to be obsolete now as Favillas are being bought for prices that rival Martins. I see Martins in the $500-600 range, although some go higher. I am now seeing Favillas selling in the 500s for a good soprano - or especially a teardrop. I love Favillas, but I wish the rest of the world would love them a little less! My "dream uke" is a Favilla Teardrop soprano.:drool: I am beginning to doubt that I will ever own one. They are just too expensive. Poverty stinks!:p

Good to see you posting again Tsani:)

I think that these things go in and out of fashion.

I think you're right. If you're looking for a Baritone, though, look for a Gianinni. 60's vintage (more or less). All Mahogany, to me they were at least the equal of Favillas (which are, indeed, excellent instruments).

I don't keep track of these things as much as I used to, but not that long ago, they were going for very high prices. The last one I saw, however, sold for a good bit less. Maybe "out of fashion" at the moment?

If so, cash in!

The market will follow whatever fad comes up next.

Some instruments are worth the $$ and some are worth more $$ because of the name or because a certain player used one. Case in point: old "Stella" brand Oscar Schmidt-made guitars (New Jersey) from the '20s cost a fortune for what they are (often all-birch, cheapo models) vs. the very similarly-made, similar-sounding instruments made in Chicago by Regal and Harmony. This is almost entirely due to the fact that these were often played by early blues men because they were cheap and sturdy. But when I'm seeing them go for prices close to all-mahogany Martins from the time -- you just have to ask yourself WHY?

The market will follow whatever fad comes up next.

Some instruments are worth the $$ and some are worth more $$ because of the name or because a certain player used one. Case in point: old "Stella" brand Oscar Schmidt-made guitars (New Jersey) from the '20s cost a fortune for what they are (often all-birch, cheapo models) vs. the very similarly-made, similar-sounding instruments made in Chicago by Regal and Harmony. This is almost entirely due to the fact that these were often played by early blues men because they were cheap and sturdy. But when I'm seeing them go for prices close to all-mahogany Martins from the time -- you just have to ask yourself WHY?

I'm a pro audio guy and it's just as faddy. Early 70s Neve 1073 mic pres and eqs go for ungodly amounts of money. Great new Rupert Neve designs are available to the average mo for a steal! Plus, with new stuff you (hopefully) don't get bent necks and dirty electronics.

That said, I think there can be a certain romantic magic and great tone to old gear, but let's face it, playing well is the most important thing. If I could make a deal with the devil, I'd rather be able to play a Makala well vs. a own the fanciest Martin and play it badly. If satan is reading this, please don't PM me! actual picture of satan: :mad:

Top Bottom