PDA

View Full Version : A newbie on two counts

uke.al.lele
07-23-2011, 01:13 PM
This is my first 'ukulele and UU is my first forum I've ever joined.
* I now know 10 chords on my uke.
* How would you advise me to make the best use of this forum?
I would rather spend time practicing my uke than trying to wade
through figuring out how to use the forum. What could you tell me
that would help me with the forum?

And does anyone know why the picture attached to my profile doesn't show up?

uke.al.lele
Allen

joeybug
07-23-2011, 01:31 PM
Hi and welcome to UU :D And the 'Ukulele!

Firstly, I would recommend taking "Boot Camp", if you look up "Uncle Rod H..." can't remember how to spell his last name, but he has links to it for free in his signature and it's a great resource for newbies, I started there and it really has helped me on my learning Ukulele journey :D

Best use of the forums is to make use of the staggering amount of knowledge you'll find from the people who are on here, I have been playing about 11 months and have been on UU since Sept 2010 and have learnt so MUCH from the people here, they are just wonderful and so very helpful.

Another thing to consider if you can afford to is signing up to UU+ which is on the main website and gives you access to UUU 101 (Ukulele Underground University) which is with Aldrine who is an excellent teacher and will be able to guide you in learning the best technique, it's like $15 a month and WELL worth the money imo, I'm doing UUU 101 and am up to Week 8 (10 week course) and have learnt so much it's amazing.

As for the profile picture. It's a different one than from your avatar, you need to go to Settings "Edit Avatar" and upload it that way for it to show on the forums.

Once again welcome and make yourself at home, we're a big family here :D

Joey

itsme
07-23-2011, 01:33 PM
Welcome to UU, Allen! :)

And does anyone know why the picture attached to my profile doesn't show up?
It shows up just fine in your profile because it's your profile pic. :p

If you want it to show up in your posts, you'll need to add it as your avatar. Check the size/weight limit, I believe it's a bit smaller for an avatar than a profile pic.

EDIT: joeybug beat me to the punch while I was answering the doorbell. :cool:

PhilUSAFRet
07-23-2011, 03:15 PM
Welcome! Here ya go!

http://www.4shared.com/dir/QB7udDJq/Free_Booklet_.html

May as well grit your teeth, play a few songs for fun, dig in, and learn the basics. You'll get some other recommendations, but you'll be hard pressed to find a better place to start.

mm stan
07-23-2011, 06:09 PM
Aloha Allen,
Welcome to the UU and our forums and the ukulele..have fun and enjoy..google musicteacher2010 and Paxukulele for awesome ukulele video tutorials and Dr Uke for songs, chords, and
instructions..Happu Strummings...MM Stan

bazmaz
07-25-2011, 07:38 AM
Welcome - you are in the best place. Read everything, absorb and DON'T be afraid to ask questions. That's what we are here for!

fitncrafty
07-25-2011, 07:46 AM
Just read read read.. and do boot camp! It's wonderful!! Oh and have fun! Welcome on many counts!! Glad to have you here!

PoiDog
07-25-2011, 07:51 AM
Welcome - you are in the best place. Read everything, absorb and DON'T be afraid to ask questions. That's what we are here for!

E komo mai, Allen.

Definitely don't be afraid to ask questions. As a fellow who only recently joined the 'ukulele and UU clubs, I've asked a ton of questions here, many of then kind of silly, but the folks here are very patient and helpful and forgiving of n00bs and the learning curve.

I've found this place to be extremely helpful in many ways, not the least of which is maintaining and increasing my desire and interest in learning and getting better. Loads of inspiration, too.

Have fun!

RawrGazzawrs
07-25-2011, 12:51 PM
-well the forum is very helpful. especially cuz theres a search bar on the top right :3 so you could use the forum to search for tabs or chords to songs you wanna learn

you could also use the videos on the main site, especially the lessons if you havent already. and uke minutes and a couple of uke got mail vids are helpful for newbies. I remember it took me only 2 or 3 months to get started on Weeps by Jake Shimabukuro and learned it in 3 weeks, only cuz i was addicted to my uke when i first started out.

idk how far you wanna go with your uke whether it be strumming and jamming with friends or fingerpicking songs like Jake but just know that it takes practice to get better and stay better :)

http://www.ezfolk.com/uke/chords/
and i also use this site for when I dont know the chords or cant remember
guitar chords are the same chords on a ukulele btw :D

ConED
07-25-2011, 02:04 PM
That's great... And welcome!!!