Fret leveling question

strumsilly

Reaction score
Bought an inexpensive uke for a small friend. It came strung with aquilas and sounds pretty good. there is some buzzing and after some inspection noticed some of the frets are not seated all the way. Can I just tap them, say with a hard wood block, or does it take more force, say with a clamp. this is a good uke for me to practice on as it was less than $30, but looks like a telecaster so I thought the kid would like it. also thought about making one of those cheap RS buzzer pickups and installing for practice.

Last edited:
A lot of times trying to hammer frets down just makes the situation worse. You may have to carefully superglue and clamp them down or you may have to do a full refret.

Too often, manufacturers neglect to get rid of traces of oil on fretwire and the wire just will not stay down.

Fretting and refretting takes patience and skill. I'd advise reading up on the techniques on both Frank Ford's site www.frets.com and on the Stewart MacDonald site.

Thanks. I just tapped them down with a small hammer. now they are ok. figured I didn't have much to lose since it's a cheap uke.

Last edited:
Top Bottom