Kamoa Ukulele - Beginners check this video out

rayan

Ukulele Underground Staff
UU+
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8bovmD8AHQ

This uke can only be found on Kauai but man we were really impressed with this brand. They were designed by an ukulele player on Kauai and theres a number of things that make these ukes a lot different from say Kalas and Lanikais.

For one the wood is a lot thinner so it allows great vibration in the wood which leads to these ukes being much louder than other ukes in similar price range.

The only drawbacks is that the larger models don't have any electronics in them and you can only find these ukes on Kauai at Larry's Music. Awesome stuff though if you are a beginner and want a quality uke for not much money.

WOW. Nice projection. Nice tone. Great find guys. Hahaha, great christmas present.

WOW. Nice projection. Nice tone. Great find guys. Hahaha, great christmas present.

These would be awesome christmas presents for a beginner ukulele player. Oh I forgot to mention, this brand is the only entry level brand like this that i know that if you don't like it, they take it back and give you a refund no questions asked as long as its not broken. How awesome is that?

We're giving away that same one on the video. Stay tuned for next month's ukulele giveaway contest! :D

Wow... that Kamoa had some nice projection! Too bad they're not available around here... I can think of a couple of peeps I could get those for X-Mas presents. :D

Do they have a website?

Lovely instrument. Nice video too.

Looking forward to the next giveaway, I have not really engaged with the olimpics in quite the same way I follow the giveaways.

Take care

Do they have a website?
That would probably be more of a question for Big Brother Google, and I bet it will win the Simplest Website Design Award 2008...

Hm, apparently people are already buying these things...

Man that uke sounds really great.......and to think i was just looking into getting a pineapple! Can't wait for the contest.

Question for Ryan or Aldrine

As a luthier, I am always thinking about the stuff other people don't.

I was wondering, you guys said that the soundboard is thinnner that usual, right?
How thin is it, and ( if you know ) what does the bracing pattern look like?

The reasoon that I ask is this.
If an ukulele top is too thin, or it it is not braced strongly enough, the soundboard will warp ( called deflection) from string tention over time.
I have seen this happen to older ukuleles.

Thanks
Bob

Ryan, Aldrine, you guys have effectively launched this guy's business! I wanna get my gf a decent entry level uke, so this seems worth checking out.

Great question Bob. These ukuleles have been in development for years, with lots of experimentation with the thickness of wood. We were told some of the prototypes exploded while playing them. I guess this is as thin as you can get without those risks. I'm not sure what type of bracing is used in the mahogany laminate series like the one in the video, but the spruce top series uses classical guitar fan bracing.

As a luthier, I am always thinking about the stuff other people don't.

I was wondering, you guys said that the soundboard is thinnner that usual, right?
How thin is it, and ( if you know ) what does the bracing pattern look like?

The reasoon that I ask is this.
If an ukulele top is too thin, or it it is not braced strongly enough, the soundboard will warp ( called deflection) from string tention over time.
I have seen this happen to older ukuleles.

Thanks
Bob

Great site guys. I picked up one of these Kamoas when I was visiting Kauai for Christmas. Awesome sound and look for the price.

Under 100 bucks... Until you factor in flying to Hawaii. Dude needs to set up an ebay shop or let you guys sell 'em or something.

Awesome news everybody, I talked to the guy who makes these things, I think we're going to be able to sell them for him on UU. Super excited. These ukes must get out to the world.

Awesome news everybody, I talked to the guy who makes these things, I think we're going to be able to sell them for him on UU. Super excited. These ukes must get out to the world.

awesome. benefits both UU and him, it's a win win situation! not only does he get more business but lots of people around the world will be able to get their hands on them.

I might get one, I'd like to play around with some different styles of ukes. I'd really like to try out a flea and a cigar box too.

I wanted to buy an inexpensive (but playable) uke for my girlfriend while I was on Kaua'i this summer, and within a minute of playing a Kamoa soprano at Larry's Music, I was sold. $80 for a ukulele that sounds good, plays good, and stays in tune? I may have to pick another one up for myself!

Top Bottom