Practice sessions

brucemoffatt

Reaction score
I'm putting my practice sessions out there on youtube to force myself to measure progress in the most objective way I can. That means that however it turns out, it goes up there, every few months, and to hell with the embarrassment.

So here's what I can do after ten months. It may not seem like much to those of you who can play and sing well, but I have to say that this is the best I've ever been so far. In all my years of noodling around with other instruments I've never got to the stage where I can play and sing anything together at the same time. I have two left musical feet if that makes sense.

OK, so if you're looking for entertainment, this isn't for you. This is my self-indulgence, it's really for me. It's so I can look back in a couple of months and say, yes I can do better than that now, it's OK to continue.

I have a practice set of about ten songs, and here are three of them, played on the front verandah in the suburbs of Adelaide, South Australia, with Rex Thewonderdog wandering in and out. He's deaf by the way, it helps, he has never complained about my playing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjkc5hBoXuc&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=by3KTbIueHs&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOHEDHtDoyM&feature=related

Great playing :D

Liked a Gigglo and I love Rex!

The "write myself a letter" is good, you're a bit quiet so I can't hear the words as well as the first, but your playing is spot on! And you recover quickly from your "mistakes"

"Perhaps" - Again, I couldn't really hear the words, but your playing is great! And I miss Rex! He wasn't in this one :(

Overall great playing!

I've done something similar, I have my first video and it's so bad I have it set to unlisted and occasionally look at it and see how far I've come!

Thanks for sharing :D

Thanks Joey. It means a lot to me that you 'get it' with my practice vids. There's no end of real high class talent on the forum, and there has to be room for 'folks' as well if you understand that - the uke is a 'folk' instrument in my mind, and I'm folks, and I think you are too if you don't mind me saying so. Not saying the high class acts aren't rightly revered, they certainly are, just saying there's also room for people like me who will never be a star act.

Rex was in all those vids, just out of camera angle. He's nearly 15 now and he just sort of drags himself around. Mostly blind and deaf but he can still smell (in both senses of the word). Just a Gigolo is really for Rex. He is a toy poodle and his womanising days are well past.

Bruce - Bravo! I get my first Uke this week and will be joining the beginner ranks. Smart way to measure progress. Thanks for sharing. :)

Thanks Joey. It means a lot to me that you 'get it' with my practice vids. There's no end of real high class talent on the forum, and there has to be room for 'folks' as well if you understand that - the uke is a 'folk' instrument in my mind, and I'm folks, and I think you are too if you don't mind me saying so. Not saying the high class acts aren't rightly revered, they certainly are, just saying there's also room for people like me who will never be a star act.

Rex was in all those vids, just out of camera angle. He's nearly 15 now and he just sort of drags himself around. Mostly blind and deaf but he can still smell (in both senses of the word). Just a Gigolo is really for Rex. He is a toy poodle and his womanising days are well past.

Aww..Rex sounds so cute! And from what I could see of him, he is too!

Yup, I get it, I'll never be playing on stage (too bloody scared to begin with) I just wanna be the best I can be, and I think you're in that bracket too, just getting on with our playing and not making milestone music, but just music is enough for us :D

From just another 'folk' GREAT job Bruce! I enjoy knowing that I am not the only one that is just a regular person playing the uke. You are sounding great for a newbie of 10 months! I admire your courage to show your videos in public! I so admire that!! You keep it up! I for one have enjoyed your videos!

That was just a sheer pleasure to watch. I love watching people that share the love for the ukulele, and you can see your love coming through.
Thanks for that!

Smart way to measure progress.

I agree! Progress can be so slow sometimes (with anything, but particularly learning an instrument) that it can feel like you're not moving at all. I've found it really helpful to go back and look at where you were--which can be tough to remember without some sort of record like this. It really drives home how far you've come, even when it doesn't always feel like it. :)

So good idea, Bruce!

JJ

Thats great bruce. Thanks for sharing your practice with us. I enjoyed each. You play well and have a nice voice.
Congratulations on your progress to date, you should be proud. Keep posting. Give Rex a pet:)
Don

One of the things that is great about doing this is there's nowhere to hide. I can't pretend I can sing Just a Gigolo in G, I just can't get there with my voice. So I transposed it to C and tried again. Same place, same audience. The only difference is I have Martin M600 strings on, but at my playing level it doesn't make any great difference.

As usual, Rex Thewonderdog (who is deaf) liked it. Grat Theterrorcat was not of that opinion and he tried to turn off the video half way through. Harsh criticism indeed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiEczR2D7R4

Bruce -

Good job, man - and don't worry about posting these. I'm a little further along, but I'm doing the same thing. I've played guitar for years, but never got past the strumming a few basic chords and singing simple songs. Earlier this year, I decided to actually start practicing and learn to really play the instrument.... along the way, I managed to pick up an ukulele, which I"m now playing as much as my guitar. I've also decided to try writing some original tunes..... and I'm putting it all up on youtube. I think the positive reinforcement and constructive criticism we get from sharing these progressive steps is invaluable - and great motivation, as well. Plus it's just fun to share - and to me that's what making music is all about. I don't have many friends that play, so my friends here at UU provide that public creative outlet that I think really helps drive my development as a player. Keep on keepin on and keep sharing your progress!

Top Bottom