PDA

View Full Version : What strings are you using on your Ohana CK-35?

sbpark
07-24-2011, 07:56 AM
The more and more I play this uke the more and more I like it, and was wondering what strings others are using on their Ohana CK-35. It came with Aquilas, which I didn't like very much. They sounded nice for fingerpicking, but seemed to lose their balance when strummed hard, sounded unbalanced to me and don't like how they feel under my fingers. I currently have Worth Brown mediums on their and these string have an amazing feel to them. Obviously a bit more subdued than the Aquilas and not as loud, but they have nice separation and balance, and stay together better than the Aquilas when strummed. They are a bit quiet, but then again this may just be the characteristic of the instrument being mahogany an all and I think the Wroth Browns definitely compliment the CK-35 better than the Aquilas. Tried a set of Martin M600 on another concert i have but prefer the higher string tension of the Worths. The tension of the Martins were too loose and had rubbery feel. I also have a few sets of Ko'olau Mahanas that I mat try, but these strings are just really thick strings and I am really digging the feel of the Worths but was just wondering what others have ended up using.

Thanks to all in advance for replying and offering their advice!

hmgberg
07-24-2011, 08:07 AM
I don't have a CK-35, but I like Worth Clear Mediums on my Kamaka Concert. The clears are a little brighter, "forward sounding" according to their literature, than the browns. If you like higher tension and prefer more volume, try Worth CD; these are a harder tension string. I haven't used them on a Concert, but I have on sopranos. They are louder, sustain longer, etc., but the tension felt too hard for me after an hour or so of playing.

sbpark
07-24-2011, 08:11 AM
I don't have a CK-35, but I like Worth Clear Mediums on my Kamaka Concert. The clears are a little brighter, "forward sounding" according to their literature, than the browns. If you like higher tension and prefer more volume, try Worth CD; these are a harder tension string. I haven't used them on a Concert, but I have on sopranos. They are louder, sustain longer, etc., but the tension felt too hard for me after an hour or so of playing.

I have Worth Clears on my Ko'aloha concert and they sound amazing. Was thinking about trying them out on the Ohana as well.

hmgberg
07-24-2011, 08:12 AM
I know, I just responded to your other pots!! :-))