PDA

View Full Version : Hardcase for a vintage Style 1 Martin?

rasputinsghost
07-24-2011, 08:20 AM
Sorry to be a broken record about this, but I'm looking for a hardcase for my Martin. I see that Amazon has an Oscar Schmidt hardcase for about $40 and a Stagg tweed for $50. Are these good case, and more importantly, will they fit? What do you guys use for your martins?

Thanks!

WhenDogsSing
07-24-2011, 08:45 AM
The Oscar Schmidt cases are very nice but, they have the "Oscar Schmidt" labeling on the outside. I would never put a vintage Martin in a case that said "Oscar Schmidt" on it, but that is just how I am.

I'm not familiar with the Stagg cases.

Mainland Ukuleles and Uke Republice each sell very nice tweed cases that will fit the vintage Martin soprano. I just bought one for a Waverly Street soprano of mine from Mike at Mainland.

rasputinsghost
07-24-2011, 08:52 AM
Are those cases sold by Mike or UR made by them particularly or just rebranded? The Stagg tweed ukulele case look slike this:

http://www.amazon.com/Stagg-Hardshell-Soprano-Ukulele-Case/dp/B001G4Z49G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311533507&sr=8-1

WhenDogsSing
07-24-2011, 09:17 AM
I'm not sure about the Uke Republic cases but the ones from Mainland have no labeling on them. They appear identical to the one on Amazon which are cheaper in cost. I buy from Mike because I know what he has and they are very nice cases. The Stagg may very well be made by the same maker, I don't know.

WhenDogsSing
07-24-2011, 09:19 AM
I just noticed a difference. The Stagg has 3 latches while the ones from Mainland have 2 latches.

rasputinsghost
07-24-2011, 10:22 AM
I think I'll take a chance on the Stagg and see how it goes. Thanks!

rasputinsghost
07-24-2011, 05:23 PM
Actually after some searching I read that friction tuners are problematic for these cases, and I'm getting PegHeds put in mine. Does your uke have frics?

RyanMFT
07-24-2011, 05:30 PM
You can get the Stagg case cheaper at Austin Bazaar. Try www.austinbazaar.com

I got a Kala tweed case from MGM a couple years back and it fits my vintage Martin soprano really well. It is a little different from the Stagg.

mm stan
07-24-2011, 06:12 PM
Ask for inside dementions for a snug fit...always.

TCK
07-24-2011, 06:55 PM
My 40's Martin 3M fits in the stagg case perfectly....which is a good thing as the original case looks like it has been through a war

bbycrts
07-24-2011, 07:07 PM
Actually after some searching I read that friction tuners are problematic for these cases, and I'm getting PegHeds put in mine. Does your uke have frics?

I have one of those Staggs for my Koloa soprano (with friction tuners). I believe the Koloa design is a knockoff of the Martin (a bit deeper in the body, perhaps) - it's actually a great fit. Snug, but protectively so - not tight. There is plenty of room for the friction tuners, but geared tuners would NOT fit well (I was able to cram a Kanile'a soprano in there, but it wasn't a good fit).

The latch design isn't my favorite, but there are three of them. I prefer the latches like on Ko'olau cases - but the price was great and it has served me well!

Pukulele Pete
07-25-2011, 12:58 AM
I keep my Martins in "GATOR" cases. Nice case, inexpensive , looks like a samsonite suitcase but uke shaped.

WhenDogsSing
07-25-2011, 02:23 AM

I have some with friction tuners and some are geared. They all fit well. Yours with Pegheds ought to fit okay.

ScooterD35
07-25-2011, 02:32 AM
Any authorized Martin dealer can get you an actual Martin case.

Scooter

fabioponta
07-25-2011, 04:48 AM
Actually, Martin hard cases does exist? S-O models and S-1 models came with an big mandolin gigbag...

WhenDogsSing
07-25-2011, 09:52 AM
Actually, Martin hard cases does exist? S-O models and S-1 models came with an big mandolin gigbag...

I thought it was strange to get a "big" gig bag with the Martin S1. You could probably cram 2 of them in that thing...!!!

mm stan
07-25-2011, 12:12 PM
The Oscar Schmidt cases are very nice but, they have the "Oscar Schmidt" labeling on the outside. I would never put a vintage Martin in a case that said "Oscar Schmidt" on it, but that is just how I am.

I'm not familiar with the Stagg cases.

Mainland Ukuleles and Uke Republice each sell very nice tweed cases that will fit the vintage Martin soprano. I just bought one for a Waverly Street soprano of mine from Mike at Mainland.
Aloha Whendogssing,
Ha Ha actually I would, Nobody would steal a Oscar Schmidt, and if a Martin was resting inside it's case...I would'nt be advertising for it be stolen...

rasputinsghost
07-27-2011, 12:30 PM
Update: the stagg case is here and it fits the martin snugly. Tehre will be enough space for the fric tuners.
Thanks to all for advice and reassurances!