Hardcase for a vintage Style 1 Martin?

rasputinsghost

Reaction score
Sorry to be a broken record about this, but I'm looking for a hardcase for my Martin. I see that Amazon has an Oscar Schmidt hardcase for about $40 and a Stagg tweed for $50. Are these good case, and more importantly, will they fit? What do you guys use for your martins?

Thanks!

The Oscar Schmidt cases are very nice but, they have the "Oscar Schmidt" labeling on the outside. I would never put a vintage Martin in a case that said "Oscar Schmidt" on it, but that is just how I am.

I'm not familiar with the Stagg cases.

Mainland Ukuleles and Uke Republice each sell very nice tweed cases that will fit the vintage Martin soprano. I just bought one for a Waverly Street soprano of mine from Mike at Mainland.

I'm not sure about the Uke Republic cases but the ones from Mainland have no labeling on them. They appear identical to the one on Amazon which are cheaper in cost. I buy from Mike because I know what he has and they are very nice cases. The Stagg may very well be made by the same maker, I don't know.

Actually after some searching I read that friction tuners are problematic for these cases, and I'm getting PegHeds put in mine. Does your uke have frics?

You can get the Stagg case cheaper at Austin Bazaar. Try www.austinbazaar.com

I got a Kala tweed case from MGM a couple years back and it fits my vintage Martin soprano really well. It is a little different from the Stagg.

Last edited:
My 40's Martin 3M fits in the stagg case perfectly....which is a good thing as the original case looks like it has been through a war

Actually after some searching I read that friction tuners are problematic for these cases, and I'm getting PegHeds put in mine. Does your uke have frics?

I have one of those Staggs for my Koloa soprano (with friction tuners). I believe the Koloa design is a knockoff of the Martin (a bit deeper in the body, perhaps) - it's actually a great fit. Snug, but protectively so - not tight. There is plenty of room for the friction tuners, but geared tuners would NOT fit well (I was able to cram a Kanile'a soprano in there, but it wasn't a good fit).

The latch design isn't my favorite, but there are three of them. I prefer the latches like on Ko'olau cases - but the price was great and it has served me well!

I keep my Martins in "GATOR" cases. Nice case, inexpensive , looks like a samsonite suitcase but uke shaped.

I have some with friction tuners and some are geared. They all fit well. Yours with Pegheds ought to fit okay.

Any authorized Martin dealer can get you an actual Martin case.

Scooter

Actually, Martin hard cases does exist? S-O models and S-1 models came with an big mandolin gigbag...

The Oscar Schmidt cases are very nice but, they have the "Oscar Schmidt" labeling on the outside. I would never put a vintage Martin in a case that said "Oscar Schmidt" on it, but that is just how I am.

I'm not familiar with the Stagg cases.

Mainland Ukuleles and Uke Republice each sell very nice tweed cases that will fit the vintage Martin soprano. I just bought one for a Waverly Street soprano of mine from Mike at Mainland.
Aloha Whendogssing,
Ha Ha actually I would, Nobody would steal a Oscar Schmidt, and if a Martin was resting inside it's case...I would'nt be advertising for it be stolen...

Update: the stagg case is here and it fits the martin snugly. Tehre will be enough space for the fric tuners.
Thanks to all for advice and reassurances!

Top Bottom