Aloha neighbors. =)

humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Reaction score
Hi, everyone.

I stumbled across this site while searching for an ukulele forum last night. =)

I just returned from a 15-day vacation from Oahu last Monday. My sister moved to Waianae two years ago to pursue her dream of starting her own hula halau (she's a kumu hula that completed the uniki process several years ago). While there, I picked up a Leolani Tenor from the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet on July 10th with the intent of exploring a new instrument related to one I learned how to play in the Philippines 20 years ago - the guitar. Being a guitar player, the first logical "upgrade" for my ukulele was swapping out string #4 for a low string.

I've been inspired by a lot of Jake Shimabukuro's vids on YouTube, and have been trying to put in at least an hour's worth of practice everyday. I'd like to practice more, but it's difficult having to devote a good portion of my spare time to my two young boys: a 5-year old and a 17-month old. I've fallen in love enough with the sound of the ukulele that I will try to devote my lunch break towards practicing.

Lookin' forward to exploring, growing, and learning more from you all in the days ahead.

Mahalo, and cheers!

Conrad

Welcome! I'm sure you will pick up the uke quickly. Uncle Rod's Ukulele Boot Camp is a good way to start mastering chords. All your guitar stuff should transfer pretty much. Glad you joined us.

Thanks, Phil. I'll be sure to look into Uncle Rod's Ukulele Boot Camp. I just received Hal Leonard's Ukulele Chord Finder and Ukulele Scale Finder last Friday. I've basically just been working on memorizing and understanding the chord structures along with the associated scales. I also installed a metronome app on my iPhone to assist me in building the speed of my triple strum (the Jake Shimabukuro method). =)

Aloha Conrad,
Welcome to the UU and our forums Padre..Have fun and enjoy..google Musicteacher2010 and Paxukulele for awesome ukulele video tutorials..and Dr Uke for awesome songs,,chords and instructions..
Happy Strummings...MM Stan

Aloha E Kakou . . . Welcome to the Underground. Coming from the guitar you should easily adapt and a tenor would be more comfortable. Lotsa info available here as well as knowledgeable members who can provide answers and advice. Be sure to check out UU's Ukulele Resources Thread.

My sister has a soprano and a concert, both from Kamaka. Those were too small for me, which is why I opted for the tenor. Even though I do see a Kamaka Tenor in my future, I must admit that the sound from my $150 Leolani is amazing! Food for thought for those considering an affordable ukulele for less than two bills. ; )

Aloha Conrad,

I have a leolani tenor I got from walmart in town for 89.00 and it came with aquila and another extra set, a black foam hard case, tuner and uke..what a deal..and the sound, really good and
I play it very much and I have it in the k brands range for fun too..they are a deal, Ronnie Aloha Agrees withn me too...Glad to hear you enjoyed your vacation here and it is nice to hear your
sister is living her dream here in Waianae...Happy Strummings..MM Stan

That's a nice price, Stan. I purchased the mahogany tenor and it also came with a soft case, tuner, and extra set of NylGut strings. To say I'm happy with the sound would be an understatement.

Wifey is already trying to book another trip to the islands for next summer. I'm coming back for the marlin that got away. I've also made it clear to her that I will be coming back from that trip with a Kamaka. =)

Aloha, Coconut Willie and wolfybau. The humu humu trigger fish was my fave when I was a saltwater aquarium enthusiast, so I figured I'd use it as my username for this forum. =)

Top Bottom